Milwaukee in Milwaukee County, Wisconsin — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Milwaukee Interurban Terminal
1905 - 1951
The first floor was the terminal area, with two waiting rooms and thirteen car tracks; it was then the largest terminal of its kind in the United States.
At one time the system extended west to Watertown, north to Sheboygan, south to Kenosha, and southwest to Burlington and East Troy. The final line was abandoned June 30, 1951.
Erected 1976 by Milwaukee County Historical Society. (Marker Number 234.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Wisconsin Historical Society marker series.
Location. 43° 2.237′ N, 87° 54.864′ W. Marker is in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, in Milwaukee County. Marker is at the intersection of North 3rd Street and West Michigan Street on North 3rd Street. Touch for map. Marker is mounted on the westside of building facing North 3rd Street. Marker is at or near this postal address: 231 West Michigan Street, Milwaukee WI 53203, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Birthplace of the Department of Wisconsin American Legion (within shouting distance of this marker); Carl Frederick Zeidler Straus Building (about 700 feet away); Birthplace of China-Burma-India Veterans Ass'n. (about 800 feet away); Historic Milwaukee (approx. 0.2 miles away); Wisconsin Soldiers’ Home (approx. 0.2 miles away); Indian Village Site (approx. 0.2 miles away); Milwaukee's Bridge War (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Milwaukee.
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. All relate to TMER&L (The Milwaukee Electric Railway & Light Co.)
Categories. • Notable Buildings • Railroads & Streetcars •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on May 25, 2010, by Paul Fehrenbach of Germantown, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 954 times since then and 2 times this year. Last updated on January 29, 2015, by Paul Fehrenbach of Germantown, Wisconsin. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on May 25, 2010, by Paul Fehrenbach of Germantown, Wisconsin. 3. submitted on June 3, 2011, by Paul Fehrenbach of Germantown, Wisconsin. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.