Star-Spangled Banner National Historic Trail
—War of 1812 —
The British may have targeted St. Michaels because it was a shipbuilding center known for producing privateers—sleek Chesapeake schooners that preyed on British ships. Several gun barges for the U.S. Chesapeake Flotilla were also built here.
“The destruction of the Battery being complete, and not a Vessel to be seen, I deemed the object of the enterprise fulfilled, and returned on board with the Boats.”
British Lt. James Polkingthorne, August 10, 1813.
(Inscription on the left of the image in the lower left)
British barges, similar to this one pictured in a New England raid, landed enemy troops a Parrott’s Point. Sneak Attack on Essex Shipping by Kipp Solwedell. Image/Courtesy Connecticut River Museum.
(Inscription above the image on the right)
Privateer Surprise, launched at St. Michaels in 1813, captured more than 40 British vessels. Privateer Schooner Surprise-Image/Courtesy Maryland Historical
Erected by National Park Service-United States Department of the Interior.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Star Spangled Banner National Historic Trail marker series.
Location. 38° 47.125′ N, 76° 13.344′ W. Marker is in St. Michaels, Maryland, in Talbot County. Marker is on Green Street. Touch for map. The marker is located on the grounds of Muskrat Park. Marker is in this post office area: Saint Michaels MD 21663, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Maritime Legend #21663 (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Captain John Smith's Shallop (about 700 feet away); This Cannon (about 700 feet away); Navy Point Historic Houses (about 800 feet away); Freedom's Figurehead (approx. 0.2 miles away); Deflecting the Enemy (approx. 0.2 miles away); War in the Chesapeake (approx. 0.2 miles away); Oystering on the Chesapeake (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in St. Michaels.
Categories. • War of 1812 •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on February 7, 2015, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. This page has been viewed 185 times since then and 20 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on February 7, 2015, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.