Bodega in Sonoma County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
1857 - 1967
The coastal Miwok Indians originally occupied the land in this area. The Tsuwutena and Kennekono tribes lived near this area. During the 1700’s the land was claimed by Spain. In the 1800’s Mexico gained independence from Spain and granted land to Mexican citizens and soldiers. Jasper O’Farrell was granted land by the Spanish for his survey work of Yerba Buena, now known as San Francisco.
James Watson arrived in Sonoma County from Illinois in 1849. In 1852 he bought 1,100 acres of land from Jasper O’Farrell for 1,000 sacks of potatoes. Mr. Watson, along with Mr. Purrine who arrived in 1852 and Mr. Robertson who arrived in 1855, organized the building of the school to serve their community which included Freestone, Bodega and Valley Ford.
Mr. Watson donated the land. The community donated their skills, time and materials. Redwood was harvested and milled nearby in what is now Joy Woods. The community as a whole built the
The simple gable (Greek revival origins) with a small bell tower was a typical design of one-room schools at that time. A unique characteristic of this building is a sloping floor from rear toward the front forming an amphitheater seating arrangement for the desks. Students liked to roll marbles down the floor for fun. Oil lamps were used for lighting until electric lights were installed in the early 1900’s. A wood stove served as heating for the life of the school.
During the 111 years the school was opened, the enrollment varied. When the school opened in 1856 there were 11 students. During the 1920’s there were as many as 35. When the school closed in 1967 there were 10 students. One teacher taught multiple grades. The teacher would lecture one grade level while others were reading or completing assignments. Older students would help the younger students, creating a family type atmosphere.
The school had many talented teachers during its existence, one of the most memorial being Margaret M. Witham. She taught at Watson school from 1902 until her retirement in 1950. Living one mile east of the school, Margaret walked to school every day until her later years. She taught
The last teacher at the school from 1955 through 1967 was Alice Entzminger who said, “it was more like a family than like a school. I had no discipline problems; these children came from homes where they knew how to work and be obedient. They were never out of order.”
In 1967, the Board of Trustees made the decision to close the school and donate it to Sonoma County Regional Parks. The preservation of the school as a historical landmark was important. In 1978, it was placed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Today. Watson District School is a testament of the frontier spirit of early California and the dedication of the community it served.
Erected by Sonoma County Regional Parks Foundation.
Location. 38° 21.356′ N, 122° 56.325′ Touch for map. The marker and school are located at the Watson School Historical Park. Marker is at or near this postal address: 15538 Bodega Highway,, Bodega CA 94922, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Running Fence (a few steps from this marker); Freestone House (approx. 1.7 miles away); Potter School Est. 1873 (approx. 1.9 miles away); Saint Teresa of Avila Church (approx. 1.9 miles away); Bodega Bay (approx. 2 miles away); Christo’s Running Fence (approx. 2.7 miles away); Sturgeons Mill (approx. 4.6 miles away); a different marker also named Sturgeon's Mill (approx. 4.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Bodega.
Also see . . .
1. Watson School. An article for the West County by Andrea Granahan detailing the history of the school. (Submitted on February 28, 2015.)
2. Watson School. National Register of Historic Places 1978 photos of the schoolhouse. (Submitted on February 28, 2015.)
Categories. • Education •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on February 28, 2015, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. This page has been viewed 229 times since then and 16 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on February 28, 2015, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.