Québec in Capitale-Nationale (region), Quebec — French Canadian Region
This ground, which formerly extended to the east, was occupied by the Seneschal’s Court about the year 1650, became, in 1681, the property of the Recollets, who erected on it a church and monastery which were destroyed by fire in 1796. The old courthouse built at the beginning of the 19th century, was also destroyed by fire in 1873, the present edifice taking its place shortly afterwards. The adjoining Anglican Cathedral occupies part of the grounds once held by the Recollets.
Ce terrain, qui s’étendait autrefois plus à l’est, occupé partiellement par la sénéchaussée, vers 1659, devint, en 1681, la propriété des Récollets, qui y érigèrent un chapelle et un monastère, détruits par le feu en 1796. Le vieux palais de justice qui y fut construit vers 1800, fut aussi consumé par un incendie en 1873, et remplacé quelques années plus tard par le présent édifice. La cathédrale anglicane adjacente occupe une partie du terrain possédé autrefois par les Récollets.
Location. 46° 48.724′ N, 71° 12.379′ W. Marker is in Québec, Quebec, in Capitale-Nationale (region). Marker is on Rue Saint Louis just from Rue du Trèsor, on the left when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 12 Rue Saint Louis, Québec, Quebec G1R, Canada.
Other nearby markers. Québec Court House (here, next to this marker); Theatre de l’Estoc (a few steps from this marker); The Maillou House (within shouting distance of this marker); Kent House (within shouting distance of this marker); La pierre de la Croix de Malte / The Maltese Cross Stone (within shouting distance of this marker); Site of Armed Forces Staff Headquarters (within shouting distance of this marker); Organisation pour l'alimentation et l'agriculture (about 90 meters away, measured in a direct line); 50ème anniversaire de l'Organisation pour l'alimentation et l'agriculture (about 90 meters away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Québec.
More about this marker. This marker is mounted on the Quebec Courthouse near the entrance.
Categories. • Churches & Religion •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on March 6, 2015, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. This page has been viewed 257 times since then and 16 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on March 6, 2015, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.