Maysville in Mason County, Kentucky — The American South (East South Central)
“Washington Courthouse Site”
Built by stonemason and Baptist minister Lewis Craig. Struck by lightning in 1909, burned to its stone foundation. Built of limestone, building was 50 ft. X 23 ft. with 2 ft. thick walls. Cupola for bell sat atop 25 ft. Octagonal tower topped by weathervane & gilded ball. Slave auctions held on courthouse lawn.
Location. 38° 36.937′ N, 83° 48.513′ W. Marker is in Maysville, Kentucky, in Mason County. Marker is at the intersection of Old Main Street (Kentucky Route 2515) and South Court Street, on the right when traveling north on Old Main Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2110 Old Main Street, Maysville KY 41056, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Johnston Birthplace (here, next to this marker); Gen. Albert Sidney Johnston (a few steps from this marker); Washington Hall (a few steps from this marker); Paxton Inn (within shouting distance of this marker); Early Stage-Mail Route (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); Washington Baptist Church Cemetery / Washington Baptist Cemetery (about 800 feet away); Mefford's Fort (approx. 0.2 miles away); Joseph Desha (1768-1842) / Old Court-New Court Issue (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Maysville.
Also see . . . History of Courthouse (.pdf). (Submitted on June 5, 2015, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.)
Categories. • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 5, 2015, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 209 times since then and 14 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on June 5, 2015, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.