Istanbul in Fatih district, Istanbul Province, Turkey
The structure is one of the examples of convergence of Western eclecticism seen in especially 19th century Istanbul and the regional and national stylistic patterns. The building was constructed as a terminal when Roumeli Railway reached Sirkeci, as a stone building and two wooden passenger waiting halls. Beside those temporary buildings, the construction of the main station building was started on 11 February 1888, and on 3 May 1890, Musir Hamdi Pasha made the opening on behalf of Abdulhamid II and the terminal started its service. It was designed by the German architect A. Tasmund. Granite marble and stones brought from Marseille, Aden were used on the facades. In the first years of its construction, the building was lighted using gas, and the stoves used for heating the passenger halls were brought from Austria. in those years the sea was much closer to the building and there were verandas which went down to the sea. The building has a linear plan, consisting of units located side by side, and this fragmentation can be clearly observed from the façade. There are clock towers on both sides of the unit, located in the middle of the building, which is covered with a large vault. With the brick belts used in the façade, round, pointed arch windows, the entrance gate in the middle reminiscent of Seljuk crown gates,
The starting date of operation of the terminal is written on the flank façade of the building, both in Julian and Gregorian calendars. The Orient Express, which takes off from Paris, brought its passengers to this terminal for many decades.
Yapi, 19, yüzyıldı özellikle İstanbul'da görülen Bati seçmeciliǧi ile bölgesel ve ulusal biçim kalıplarının bir arada kullanıldıǧı orneklerden birisidir. Rumeli Demiryolu'nun Sirkeci'ye kadar gelmesiyle istasyon binası olarak bugün de mevcut olan kâgir bina ile yolcu bekleme salonu olarak iki ahşap baraka yapılmıştır. Geçici olarak tasarlanan bu binaların yanında esas istasyon binasının yapımına 11 Şubat 1888'de başlanılmış ve 3 Mayıs 1890'da ll. Abdülhamid adına Müşir Hamdi Paşa tarafından açılarak hizmete sunulmuştur. Tasarımını Alman mimar A. Tasmund'un yaptıǧı binanın cephesinde granit mermer ve Marsilya-Adenden getirilmiş taşlar kullanılmıştır. İlk yapıldıǧı yıllarda havagazı ile aydınlatılan binanın
Binanın yan cephesinde garın hizmete girdiǧi tarih, hem Rumi takvime hem de Miladi takvime göre yazılmıştır. Paris'ten kalkan Şark Ekspresi uzun yıllar bu istasyona yolcu indirmiş ve buradan yolcu almıştır.
Erected by Istanbul Büyükşehir Belediyesi (Istanbul Metropolitan Municipality).
Location. 41° 0.911′ N, 28° 58.581′ E. Marker is in Istanbul, Istanbul Province, in Fatih district. Marker is on Ankara Caddesi just from Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: Ankara Caddesi No:211, Istanbul, Istanbul Province 34110, Turkey.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Building of Ministry of Post and Telegraph (Grand Post Office) (about 180 meters away, measured in a direct line); Pasakapisi (approx. half a kilometer away); The History of the Egyptian Bazaar (approx. half a kilometer away); Alay Pavillion (approx. half a kilometer away); Gulhane Park (approx. half a kilometer away); Rustem Pasha Mosque (approx. 0.7 kilometers away); The Remnants of the Theodosian Hagia Sophia (5th Century) (approx. 0.7 kilometers away); Hagia Sophia (approx. 0.8 kilometers away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Istanbul.
Also see . . . İstanbul Sirkeci Terminal - Wikipedia. The Terminal is located on the tip of Istanbul's historic peninsula right next to the Golden Horn and just northwest of Gülhane Park and the famous Topkapı Palace. Sirkeci Terminal, along with Haydarpaşa Terminal on the other side of the Bosphorus, are Istanbul's two intercity and commuter railway terminals. Built in 1890 by the Oriental Railway as the eastern terminus of the world famous Orient Express, Sirkeci Terminal has become a symbol of the city. (Submitted on July 5, 2015, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California.)
Categories. • Railroads & Streetcars •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 5, 2015, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. This page has been viewed 274 times since then and 12 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on July 5, 2015, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.