Banner in Sheridan County, Wyoming — The American West (Mountains)
The Post Headquarters:
Administering Fort Phil Kearny and the Mountain District
From this building the commander of the Mountain District of the U.S. Army issued orders to Forts Phil Kearny C.F. Smith, and Reno. The Mountain District was made up of the 2nd Battalion 18th Infantry until 1867 when it was reorganized into the 27th Infantry Regiment. During this building’s existence, the 25 by 50 foot, one inch plank board and batten structure was an office for Colonels Henry B. Carrington, Henry Wessells, and John E. Smith. The building was also the communication center for Fort Phil Kearny. Flag signalmen located on a lookout stand attached to the building received and sent messages to Pilot Knob and other points.
In 1867, Quartermaster Captain George Dandy described the building as “needing torn down.”
Yet it continued to function in a number of ways until the closure of the fort. One use was as a school house, in which Chaplain White taught classes for the 10 children of 17 families on post.
Location. 44° 31.955′ N, 106° 49.525′ W. Marker is in Banner, Wyoming, in Sheridan County. Marker can be reached from Wagon Box Road, on the left when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is located inside Fort Phil Kearny. Marker is in this post office area: Banner WY 82832, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are Site of Fort Phil Kearny (a few steps from this marker); The Sutler’s Store: (a few steps from this marker); The Guard House: (within shouting distance of this marker); The Band: (within shouting distance of this marker); The Civilians: (within shouting distance of this marker); The Cavalryman’s Quarters: (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Hospital (about 400 feet away); Post Commander’s Quarters: (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Banner.
More about this marker. Portraits of Henry Wessells, John E. Smith and Chaplain White are on the right side of the marker. A map showing the location of the Headquarter Building in the fort and an artist concept of signalmen atop the Headquarters Building appear elsewhere on the marker.
Also see . . . Fort Phil Kearny State Historic Site. (Submitted on August 25, 2015, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.)
Categories. • Forts, Castles •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 24, 2015, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 162 times since then and 12 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on August 24, 2015, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.