Medora in Billings County, North Dakota — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
Hunting and Trapping
The Little Missouri Badlands have always been ideal habitat for wildlife. American Indians hunted these lands for centuries. The first known white explorers, the La Verendrye brothers, ventured into the badlands in 1742.
Trapper Jean Baptiste La Page descended the Little Missouri River in late 1804 and joined Lewis and Clark in winter camp on the Missouri. Their expedition ushered in the Upper Missouri fur trade, which flourished in the second half of the 19th century.
The Little Missouri drainage was hunted for buffalo, bear, elk, deer, antelope, wolves, cougars, beaver and many other species. The badlands became a haven for adventurous sportsmen, such as John Palliser of Britain, who hunted the area in 1848, and Irish nobleman Sir St. George Gore, who led a large hunting party through in 1856.
Construction of the Northern Pacific Railroad in 1880 provided easy access to this hunterís paradise. Among the many who came to hunt was young Theodore Roosevelt in 1883. Roosevelt adopted the badlands as a second home and helped popularize the area through his prolific writing.
This area continues to be a popular destination for hunters, including those who prefer to hunt with a camera or a sketchbook.
(Marker Number 9.)
Location. 46° 54.791′ Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Medora ND 58645, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Medora Depot & Railroad (here, next to this marker); Margaret Roberts (within shouting distance of this marker); Medora Education (within shouting distance of this marker); Medora Town Hall (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Roberts Hall (about 300 feet away); The President Returns (about 300 feet away); Stockmens State Bank (about 300 feet away); Hotel de Mores (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Medora.
More about this marker. A photograph at the upper right of the marker depicts “The Marquise (left, sitting side-saddle) and Marquis de Mores (foreground) [who] were involved in many hunting expeditions.” A photograph of hunters and their catch appears at the bottom left of marker and includes a caption of “The Badlands were a hunterís paradise with many species of wild game harvested.”
Categories. • Exploration • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 1, 2015, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 198 times since then and 31 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on September 1, 2015, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.