God of the Sea
This statue of Neptune with his trident and three horses, famous in Greek mythology, was cast of lead in 1911 by the Bromsgrove Guild, Ltd., of Worchestershire, England for the Pennsylvania estate of the late Alba B. Johnson, then the president of the Baldwin Locomotive Company.
In 1946, following Mr. Johnson's death, the estate became the property of the New Sharon Convent of the Holy Child Jesus in Rosemont, Pa. and later the statuary was acquired by an eastern art dealer. In 1953 it was purchased and installed by the J.C. Nichols Company and dedicated to the enjoyment of all visitors to the Plaza.
Location. 39° 2.547′ N, 94° 35.428′ W. Marker is in Kansas City, Missouri, in Jackson County. Marker is at the intersection of 47th Street (U.S. 56) and Wornall Road, on the right when traveling west on 47th Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 318 West 47th Street, Kansas City MO 64111, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Aleman Court (a few steps from this marker); Wild Boar of Florence (a few steps from this marker); Giralda Tower (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Landing At Westport
Also see . . .
1. "Neptune" Fountain. (Submitted on September 6, 2015, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
2. Country Club Plaza Art & Architecture Tour. (Submitted on September 6, 2015, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Categories. • Arts, Letters, Music • Charity & Public Work • Man-Made Features •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 6, 2015, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 171 times since then and 11 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on September 6, 2015, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.