Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Chilhowie in Smyth County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Sulphur Springs Church and Campground

1806–1893

 
 
Sulphur Springs Church and Campground Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, October 18, 2015
1. Sulphur Springs Church and Campground Marker
Inscription. Across the highway was a log meeting house and campground visited by Bishop Francis Asbury and early Methodist circuit riders. On this site Col. W. P. Thompson gathered his regiment in 1812. Here Elizabeth Henry Russell often worshipped and this was the home church of the Rev. R. Gannaway. The church, brick-cased about 1860, was moved to the present location of Chilhowie United Methodist Church in 1893.
 
Erected 1977 by (unknown party). Approved by the Smyth County Board of Supervisors.
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Francis Asbury, Traveling Methodist Preacher marker series.
 
Location. 36° 48.389′ N, 81° 41.499′ W. Marker is near Chilhowie, Virginia, in Smyth County. Marker is on Virginia Route 107 just north of Sulphur Springs Road (County Route 639), on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Chilhowie VA 24319, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Chilhowie (approx. ¾ mile away); Farthest West, 1750 (approx. ¾ mile away); Town House (approx. ¾ mile away); a different marker also named Chilhowie
Sulphur Springs Church and Campground Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, October 18, 2015
2. Sulphur Springs Church and Campground Marker
(approx. 0.9 miles away); Transportation Through the Ages (approx. one mile away); William Campbell’s Grave (approx. 2.8 miles away); Seven Mile Ford (approx. 3.7 miles away); History of Saltville Valley (approx. 5.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Chilhowie.
 
Also see . . .  Elizabeth Henry Campbell Russell. “After her husband’s death in 1793, Madame Russell, as she was known, increased her Methodist activism. She gave up her personal wealth but used the funds she had to support circuit riders and to pay to build churches. With a firm belief in God-given freedom for all people, she freed the slave that she owned. In 1812 she settled into a log cabin with a large room for holding religious meetings. Until her death, she hosted itinerant preachers and alerted community members whenever an impromptu service was to be held. When poor evangelists visited her, she bolstered them with food and clothing, as well as moral support and intellectual stimulation. The Madame Russell Methodist Church in Saltville is named in her honor.” (Submitted on November 29, 2015.) 
 
Categories. Churches & Religion
 
The View Across the Highway from Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, October 18, 2015
3. The View Across the Highway from Marker
Gravestone of the Reverend Robertson Gannaway (1780–1859) image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, October 18, 2015
4. Gravestone of the Reverend Robertson Gannaway (1780–1859)
It is in the cemetery adjacent to the marker.
Frederick Starns, ca. 1700-75 image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, October 18, 2015
5. Frederick Starns, ca. 1700-75
“Born, Germany 1700, arrived N.Y.C. 1710, West Camp NY 1710-12, Schoharie NY 1713-23, German Flatts NY 1723-41, Juniata R. PA 1741-43, New River VA 1744-69, Holston R. VA 1770-75.”
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 29, 2015, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio. This page has been viewed 157 times since then and 43 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on November 29, 2015, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio.
Paid Advertisement