Lipscomb in Lipscomb County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Post office was opened in 1886; Lipscomb Town Company sold land for $3 an acre in 1887. In first month, seven businesses started.
When county was organized in 1887, Lipscomb became seat, named for A. S. Lipscomb, secretary of state in Republic of Texas and justice of State Supreme Court. Hotel from undeveloped town of Dominion was moved here, 1887.
First courthouse was built in 1887. The first school -- in a church -- had 25 pupils, 1888. A new courthouse was erected, 1916.
Erected 1968 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 3092.)
Location. 36° 14.023′ N, 100° 16.542′ W. Marker is in Lipscomb, Texas, in Lipscomb County. Marker is on State Highway 305 north of Oak Street, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Lipscomb TX 79056, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 16 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Quanah Parker Trail (a few steps from this marker); Lipscomb County Courthouse Lipscomb School (approx. 0.3 miles away); Lipscomb Union Church (approx. 0.3 miles away); Lipscomb Cemetery (approx. 1.3 miles away); St. John's Lutheran Church Cemetery (approx. 1.3 miles away); Fairview Cemetery (approx. 10.3 miles away); Follett United Methodist Church and Church Bell (approx. 15.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lipscomb.
Categories. • Settlements & Settlers •
More. Search the internet for Lipscomb, Texas.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on April 3, 2016, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 204 times since then and 8 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on April 3, 2016, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona.