Phoenix in Maricopa County, Arizona — The American Mountains (Southwest)
Arizona Copper Company's Locomotive #2
The Arizona Copper Company of Morenci, Arizona purchased five of these locomotives between 1882 and 1886 to haul ore on the Coronado railroad. The H. K. Porter Company of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania manufactured them in 1882.
Locomotive #2 ran on 20" tracks. This is 16” less than narrow gauge, and 36 1/2" less than standard gauge tracks. The small locomotive measures only 17 feet long, by 5 feet 5 inches wide and weighs just 11 tons.
Locomotive #2 was abandoned in 1923 at the top of the steep 1,200 foot Coronado Incline. Phelps Dodge Morenci, Inc. recovered it in 1990 from the top of the incline at Morenci Mine and donated it to the Arizona Department of Mines and Mineral Resources.
Restoration funding was provided by the Arizona Heritage Fund and Phelps Dodge Morenci, Inc.
The locomotive was donated by Phelps Dodge Morenci, Inc.
Location. 33° 26.901′ N, 112° 5.535′ W. Marker is in Phoenix, Arizona, in Maricopa County. Marker is on West Washington Street 0.1 miles west of 15th Avenue, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. The marker is adjacent to the referenced locomotive, inside a fenced courtyard. The courtyard belongs to the Arizona Historical Society's Polly Rosenbaum Building,
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Boras Headframe (here, next to this marker); Arizona's U.S.S. Arizona Memorial - In Memory of the Gallant Men (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Arizona World War II Memorial (about 400 feet away); U.S.S. Arizona Signal Mast (about 500 feet away); The Arizona Korean War Veterans Memorial (about 600 feet away); Jacob Waltz (about 600 feet away); Father Albert Braun O.F.M. (about 600 feet away); Jewish War Veterans Memorial (about 700 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Phoenix.
Also see . . . The Arizona Copper Company expanded its operations with an extension of the Coronado Railroad.
In 1879, the Coronado Railroad, a 20 inch, baby gauge, was constructed to link the base of the Longfellow Mine incline to the smelter. In 1880, a steam engine replaced mule power. The railroad continued to operate until 1922. (Submitted on April 12, 2016, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Railroads & Streetcars •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on April 12, 2016, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 246 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on April 12, 2016, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Wide area view of the marker and its surroundings. • Can you help?