Moab in Grand County, Utah — The American Mountains (Southwest)
Elk Mountain Mission
Plaque below marker:
This monument was relocated in April 2006. The monument was formerly located at 995 N. Highway 191, which is 1.5 miles northwest of where the monument now stands. The location of the Old Fort was 3000 ft W, 1320 ft from the NW corner of Sec 34 Township 25 S, Range 21 E, Salt Lake Base Meridian.
Erected 1940 by Moab Camp, Daughters of Utah Pioneers. (Marker Number 65.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Daughters of Utah Pioneers marker series.
Location. 38° Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Moab UT 84532, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Early L.D.S. Church (a few steps from this marker); Moab L.D.S. Church (a few steps from this marker); The Old Log Cabin (a few steps from this marker); Star Hall (within shouting distance of this marker); Scott M. Matheson (approx. 1.3 miles away); Grand Old Ranch House (approx. 1.6 miles away); Moab Utah UMTRA Project (approx. 3.7 miles away); Double Arch (approx. 7.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Moab.
1. The bodies of the slain missionaries were probably not buried
One man died just before dawn, only hours before the mission was abandoned. The other two died on the mountain where the native freebooters surprised and killed them. The missionaries at the fort heard the shots. No mention of retrieving the bodies and no mention of burial of the bodies are found in the diaries, letters, and journals of the missionaries.
Categories. • Churches & Religion • Exploration • Forts, Castles •
Credits. This page was last revised on February 23, 2018. This page originally submitted on June 8, 2016, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 335 times since then and 12 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on June 8, 2016, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona.