Delray Beach in Palm Beach County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
First Presbyterian Church Fellowship Hall
An orange grove, once located at this site, played a role in the early development of Delray Beach. Until 1876, an old, sour orange grove was the only distinguishable characteristic within 60 miles of a sparsely inhabited subtropical wilderness between Lake Worth and Biscayne Bay. Settlers in 1894-95 who saw the grove that was partially surrounded by a rock wall, speculated that the trees were planted by Seminole Indians, Minorcan immigrants, or the Spanish, but its origin remains unknown. A nearby haulover (a location where boats were carried from one navigable place to another), the Orange Grove Haulover, was named after the grove and is found on 19th century Florida maps as far back as 1826. The U.S. Life Saving Service, established by Congress in 1848 to protect mariners, built the Orange Grove House of Refuge #3 in 1876. When potential settlers came to the proposed Town of Linton (later renamed Delray Beach), the keeper of the Refuge, Stephen N. Andrews, suggested that the main street, Atlantic Avenue, be placed between the House of Refuge on the north and the orange grove on the south. The grove, long gone, became the site of this Mediterranean Revival building in 1924.
Erected 2008 by The Delray Beach Historical Society, the Robert Neff Family, and the Florida Department of State. (Marker Number F-653.)
Location. 26° 27.64′ N, 80° 3.637′ W. Marker is in Delray Beach, Florida Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 33 Gleason Street, Delray Beach FL 33483, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. J. B. Evans House (approx. 0.2 miles away); Atlantic Avenue Crossing (approx. ¼ mile away); Nassau Park Historic District (approx. 0.3 miles away); Marina Historic District (approx. 0.3 miles away); Orange Grove House of Refuge No. 3 (approx. 0.3 miles away); Beach Dedication (approx. 0.3 miles away); Delray Beach Hotel (approx. 0.3 miles away); a different marker also named Marina Historic District (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Delray Beach.
Also see . . . First Presbyterian Church of Delray Beach. (Submitted on August 15, 2016.)
Categories. • Churches & Religion •
Credits. This page was last revised on March 4, 2018. This page originally submitted on August 14, 2016, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. This page has been viewed 158 times since then and 14 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on August 14, 2016, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.