Barry in Navarro County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Early businesses in Barry included the First State Bank, which operated from 1909 until 1931, grocery stores, gas stations, drugstores, blacksmith shops, a newspaper office, a meat market, a cafe, and a hotel. In 1910, W. T. Woodruff and R. W. Varnell formed Woodruff and Co., which sold dry goods, hardware, and farm implements.
Settlers were attracted to the area by its rich farmland, and by 1920 most of the land had been cleared and planted in cotton. Barry's first cotton gin was established in 1899 by Dan McCammon, and E. Y. Jordan and Jack Hodge also operated early gins. Methodist and Baptist churches were organized by the end of the 19th century, and the
Erected 1985 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 8269.)
Location. 32° 5.95′ N, 96° 38.193′ W. Marker is in Barry, Texas, in Navarro County. Marker is on Houston Street (Road 1126) near South Front Street, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Barry TX 75102, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 10 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Barry Baptist Church (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Pinkston (approx. 3½ miles away); IOOF Home Memorial Bell Tower (approx. 7.9 miles away); Odd Fellow and Rebekah Children's Home (approx. 8 miles away); 15th Texas Infantry Companies E and G (approx. 8.3 miles away); Navarro Rifles (approx. 8.3 miles away); Corsicana Hebrew Cemetery (approx. 8.6 miles away); James Clinton Neill (approx. 9.1 miles away).
Also see . . . Texas State Historical Association, Barry TX. The first public school had opened in 1896, and by 1906 it had two teachers and an enrollment of 127 pupils. (Submitted on October 8, 2012, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.)
Categories. • Notable Places •
More. Search the internet for Barry.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 8, 2012, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 437 times since then and 17 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on October 8, 2012, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.