Castro Valley in Alameda County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
Site of First Public School in Castro Valley
Erected 1962 by California State Park Commission in cooperation with the Vallecito Parlor No. 308, Native Daughters of the Golden West. (Marker Number 776.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Education • Notable Places. In addition, it is included in the California Historical Landmarks, and the Native Sons/Daughters of the Golden West series lists. A significant historical year for this entry is 1866.
Location. 37° 42.402′ N, 122° 4.439′ W. Marker is in Castro Valley, California, in Alameda County. Marker is on Redwood Road near James Avenue, on the right when traveling north. Marker is mounted on the wall to the left of the exit doors of the school district offices. Touch for map. Marker is Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Castro Valley Veterans Memorial (approx. 0.9 miles away); Don Castro Regional Recreation Area (approx. 1˝ miles away); Friendship Monument (approx. 2 miles away); Hisako Uyama Partridge (approx. 2 miles away); A Chance Encounter (approx. 2 miles away); Legacy of Change (approx. 2 miles away); Search for Water (approx. 2 miles away); Juan Bautista de Anza Expedition Campsite #98 (approx. 2.1 miles away).
Regarding Site of First Public School in Castro Valley. This site was designated as California Registered Historical Landmark No. 776 on September 25, 1962.
Credits. This page was last revised on December 22, 2016. It was originally submitted on March 14, 2010, by Syd Whittle of Mesa, Arizona. This page has been viewed 1,711 times since then and 101 times this year. Last updated on December 20, 2016, by Michael Kindig of Elk Grove, California. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on March 14, 2010, by Syd Whittle of Mesa, Arizona.