Moravia in Cayuga County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Oldest House in Moravia
is the original cabin built
by Gershom Morse in 1794.
Erected 1935 by State Education Department.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Buildings. A significant historical year for this entry is 1794.
Location. 42° 42.374′ N, 76° 25.245′ W. Marker is in Moravia, New York, in Cayuga County. Marker is on South Main Street (New York State Route 38) south of School Street, on the left when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 52 South Main Street, Moravia NY 13118, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Cady Tavern (approx. 0.2 miles away); Town of Moravia (approx. half a mile away); John Stoyell (approx. half a mile away); World War Memorial (approx. half a mile away); Millard Fillmore (approx. 0.6 miles away); Boyhood Site (approx. 0.6 miles away); Owasco Flats (approx. 0.8 miles away); Judge Wood House (approx. 0.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Moravia.
Also see . . . Historic and Architectural Resources of Village of Moravia, N.Y. (National Park Service). A 1992 inventory created with for the purposes of delineating historic districts in the town. "There are few intact examples of architecture in the village which reflect the initial period of settlement. Portions of the Morse farmhouse and the Cotton Spinner House may container remnants of early cabins built in the
The accuracy of the the marker title, "Oldest House...", as well the neighboring house's commercial title, "Oldest House in Moravia B&B", may be one of interpretation - see - Ship of Theseus for different perspectives. As to the B&B's claims to being the "oldest", dating back to 1794 according to their Facebook page, it should be noted that there is seemingly nothing within the NPS document to support that claim. (Submitted on December 26, 2016, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Lamorinda, California.)
1. Different house?
Believe the "Oldest House in Moravia" is now a B&B at 52 S. Main St., across the street from photo #2, and behind some trees. See: link for Tour Cayuga County - Where to Stay - for photo and B&B listing. Its name is actually "Oldest House in Moravia B & B".
— Submitted December 25, 2016, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.
Credits. This page was last revised on November 7, 2020. It was originally submitted on December 24, 2016, by Pat Filippone of Stockton, California. This page has been viewed 833 times since then and 233 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on November 7, 2020, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. 2. submitted on December 24, 2016, by Pat Filippone of Stockton, California. 3, 4, 5. submitted on November 7, 2020, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. 6. submitted on December 24, 2016, by Pat Filippone of Stockton, California. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Photo of Oldest House in Moravia. • Can you help?