Windsor in Essex County, Ontario — Central Canada
The Great Western Railway
The main line of “The Great Western”, from Niagara Falls through Hamilton and London to Windsor, was opened in 1854. The company extended its line from Hamilton to Toronto in 1855, from Komoka to Sarnia in 1858, and from Glencoe to Fort Erie (the “loop line”) in 1873. “The Great Western” was an important connecting link for through traffic between railways in Michigan and New York states. This necessitated conversion from the original 56 gauge to the U.S. standard of 4’8 ½”. The railway was one of the earliest to use sleeping and dining cars. In 1882 “The Great Western” merged with “The Grand Trunk Railway Company” under the latter’s name.
Erected by Archaeological and Historic Sites Board of Ontario.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Railroads & Streetcars.
Location. 42° 19.217′ N, 83° 2.305′ W. Marker is in Windsor, Ontario, in Essex County. Marker is at the intersection of Riverside Drive E and Gayeau StreetTouch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Windsor, Ontario N9A, Canada. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Underground Railroad in Canada (about 150 meters away, measured in a direct line); The Rt. Hon. Herb Gray, PC., C.C., Q.C. (about 180 meters away); French Settlement on the South Shore (about 180 meters away); Original Home of Major F.A. Tilston V.C. Armoury (approx. 0.3 kilometers away); The Detroit River (approx. 0.3 kilometers away); The Francois Baby House (approx. 0.4 kilometers away); The Battle of Windsor - 1838 (approx. 0.4 kilometers away); The Gateway to Freedom (approx. 0.8 kilometers away in the U.S.). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Windsor.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 27, 2019. It was originally submitted on January 3, 2017, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. This page has been viewed 372 times since then and 24 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on January 3, 2017, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.