Aiken in Aiken County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
St. John's Methodist Church
This church has its origin in 1825 as a Methodist congregation on the Hollow Creek Circuit that predates the city of Aiken. Rev. John Reynolds was the first circuit rider serving St. John's, which shared a minister with St. John in Graniteville until becoming a separate congregation in 1856. The first sanctuary here, a frame Greek Revival church designed by Dr. E.J.C. Wood, was built in 1857-58.
The 1858 Greek revival church was demolished in 1961-64 and replaced by the present sanctuary, a brick church designed by local architect John Weems. This church, consecrated in 1964, was built on the site of the old church cemetery. With the consent of their descendants, the persons buried there were exhumed and reburied south of this sanctuary. Their names are engraved on a marble plaque near the chapel entrance.
Erected 2007 by The Congregation. (Marker Number 2-35.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & Religion • Notable Places. A significant historical year for this entry is 1825.
Location. 33° 33.675′ Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 104 Newberry St NW, Aiken SC 29801, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 10 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Original Survey of Aiken (within shouting distance of this marker); H. Odell Weeks (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Battle of Aiken (about 400 feet away); William Aiken, Sr. (about 600 feet away); The Detection of the Neutrino, 1956 / The Nobel Prize In Physics, 1995 (about 600 feet away); Author Jeff Scott (about 700 feet away); 1953 Gas Explosion (about 700 feet away); Aiken (approx. 0.2 miles away); Aiken First Baptist Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); Defense of Aiken (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Aiken.
Credits. This page was last revised on October 13, 2020. It was originally submitted on August 12, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 2,012 times since then and 30 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on August 12, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.