Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Wewahitchka in Gulf County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Gulf County Old Courthouse

 
 
Gulf County Old Courthouse Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Tim Fillmon, February 9, 2017
1. Gulf County Old Courthouse Marker
Inscription.  The South Portion of Calhoun County was cut out in 1925 to form Gulf County. Wewahitchka was chosen as the county seat. The first county business was transacted in a local business house until this court house was built in 1927, and served until the county seat moved to Port St. Joe in 1965. The first county commissioners were J.J. McDaniel, Chairman, H.E. Wish, S.F. VanHorn, A.D. Lawson, G.A. Patton and W.L. Mowbray. The first county judge was E.C. Lewis.
 
Erected 1975 by The Gulf County Golden Anniversary Commission and the St. Joseph Historical Society.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Government & Politics. A significant historical year for this entry is 1927.
 
Location. 30° 6.912′ N, 85° 11.925′ W. Marker is in Wewahitchka, Florida, in Gulf County. Marker is at the intersection of North 2nd Street and Court Avenue, on the right when traveling north on North 2nd Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 222 North 2nd Street, Wewahitchka FL 32465, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 6 other markers are within 18 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Wewahitchka Centennial
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
(here, next to this marker); Fort Gadsden (approx. 16.7 miles away); Steamship Tragedy (approx. 16.7 miles away); British Fort Magazine (approx. 16.7 miles away); "Milly Francis" (approx. 16.7 miles away); Fort Crèvecoeur (approx. 17.6 miles away).
 
Gulf County Old Courthouse image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Tim Fillmon, February 9, 2017
2. Gulf County Old Courthouse
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on March 7, 2017. It was originally submitted on February 16, 2017, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. This page has been viewed 454 times since then and 10 times this year. Last updated on March 6, 2017, by Byron Hooks of Sandy Springs, Georgia. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on February 16, 2017, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=101782

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
U.S. FTC REQUIRED NOTICE: This website earns income from purchases you make after using links to Amazon.com. Thank you.
Paid Advertisements
Feb. 25, 2024