Marietta in Washington County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
The Presidentís Home of Marietta College
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Education • Notable Buildings. A significant historical year for this entry is 1822.
Location. 39° 25.07′ N, 81° 27.073′ W. Marker is in Marietta, Ohio, in Washington County. Marker is at the intersection of Putnam Street and 5th Street, on the left when traveling east on Putnam Street. The plaque is to the left of the front door of the house. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Marietta OH 45750, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Mills House (within shouting distance of this marker); Muskingum Academy / Marietta College (within shouting Betsey Mills Club (within shouting distance of this marker); First Baptist Church (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Mound Square (about 600 feet away); House of Seven Porches (about 700 feet away); City Hall (approx. 0.2 miles away); Unitarian Church (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Marietta.
Also see . . . The Presidentís House: A brief history of the Wilcox-Mills House. “Prior to the College acquiring the Wilcox-Mills House, one of the major additions to the property included the street wall and curved iron railing along the Putnam Street entrance. Both were designed by Rufus Erastus Harte, who was architect of Erwin Hall. The Presidentís House was added to the National Register of Historic Places on April 13, 1973, which lists Count de Grasse Bonney as the designer of the original 1822 structure.” (Submitted on May 16, 2017.)
Credits. This page was last revised on May 16, 2017. It was originally submitted on May 16, 2017, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio. This page has been viewed 195 times since then and 13 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on May 16, 2017, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio.