Moving Up To Cathedral Hill: Three Centuries of Change
Mount Vernon Cultural Walk
During the late 19th century, social and fraternal organizations moved into the area. The Masonic Temple, directly south of St. Paulís Church, was constructed in 1869 and remodeled in 1890, 1908, and 2005 as the Tremont Grand. Directly north of this sign, the YMCA building was built in 1872-1873, remodeled into offices in 1920, and converted into loft-style apartments in 2001. In 1892, the Odd Fellows built their Ďclubhouseí
On Cathedral Hill, Charles Street narrows, marking the northern edge of the 1904 fire. Many businesses, looking to reopen after the fire, relocated to Cathedral Hill and renovated old mansions or built new buildings. Charles Street became a posh retail street that was dubbed the “Fifth Avenue of the South.” Specialty retailers, along with religious and cultural institutions, fraternal organizations, professional offices, clubs, and a rich architectural setting, made Charles Street a favorite spot for Baltimoreans to parade, socialize, and be seen.
(Inscription under the image at the top left)
An 1801 image of the rectory of St. Paulís Episcopal Church (on the left) and St. Peterís Roman Catholic Church (on the right). St. Peterís, built in 1770, was the first Catholic Church in Baltimore and stood on the site until 1841.
(Inscriptions below the images on the right)
(Image 1) The town home of A.S. Abell, once located directly west of St. Paulís Rectory, was built around 1825 and demolished in 1883 when Cathedral Street was extended from Saratoga to Mulberry Street.
(Image 2) Johns Hopkins bought this 1830s-era house in 1851. When Hopkins died in the house in 1873, he bequeathed seven million dollars to create a university and hospital.
(Image 3) Once located
(Image 4) At the north corner of Charles and Saratoga Streets, the still standing YMCA building is depicted with its Victorian-era towers in this 1890 illustration. The towers were removed in the early 20th century. Baltimoreans had built the nationí first YMCA in 1859, several blocks west of this site.
(Image 5) Mid-1930s image of North Charles Street just north of Saratoga Street. Robert Grier Cooke, president of the Fifth Avenue Association of New York, said that “Charles Street is not only a source of pride of the whole city, but of the world at large
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Industry & Commerce. A significant historical year for this entry is 1791.
Location. 39° 17.536′ N, 76° 36.935′ W. Marker is in Downtown in Baltimore, Maryland. Marker is at the intersection of Saratoga Street and North
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Downtown (a few steps from this marker); Saint Paul's Parish (within shouting distance of this marker); Old St. Paul's (within shouting distance of this marker); Brownís Arcade (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Rectory of Old St. Paulís Parish (about 400 feet away); Nancy D'Alesandro Pelosi (about 400 feet away); Charles Center & One Charles Center (about 500 feet away); Mayor Thomas D'Alesandro, Jr. (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Downtown.
Credits. This page was last revised on April 17, 2020. It was originally submitted on May 29, 2017, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. This page has been viewed 122 times since then and 4 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on May 29, 2017, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.