Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Port Penn in New Castle County, Delaware — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Market Square

Local Trade

 
 
Market Square Marker image. Click for full size.
By Devry Becker Jones, June 5, 2021
1. Market Square Marker
Inscription.  
The Presbyterian Church, on the opposite corner across the intersection, now occupies the site originally intended as Port Penn's market square. Dr. David Stewart, Sr., believed to be the founder of Port Penn, envisioned a central market similar to those of other cities and towns. Al the economy shifted away from the village center, economic activity moved to the wharf near the Cleaver House. By the mid-19th century the town square was abandoned and became the site of the Presbyterian Church.

[Sidebar:]
Sacred Spaces in Secular Places
Two congregations formed in Port Penn. Members of the Presbyterian Church were primarily of European descent and dominated the local economy and society. The congregation of St. David's Methodist Church was predominately African-American. Today, each church welcomes worshippers of all races. At times, the same pastor ministers to both churches.

[Caption:]
The map of Port Penn dated January 13, 1792, shows Market Square (highlighted here in red) at the corner of Market and Stewart Streets. This is now the site of the Presbyterian Church.

Market Square Marker image. Click for full size.
By William Pfingsten, August 17, 2008
2. Market Square Marker
This is a previous iteration of the marker. While the content is identical, some of the formatting shows slightly differently.
Click or scan to see
this page online
Photo courtesy of the Historical Society of Delaware.

 
Erected by The Village of Port Penn. (Marker Number 4.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: African AmericansChurches & ReligionIndustry & CommerceSettlements & Settlers. A significant historical date for this entry is January 13, 1792.
 
Location. 39° 31.029′ N, 75° 34.661′ W. Marker is in Port Penn, Delaware, in New Castle County. Marker is at the intersection of Market Street and Stewart St., on the right when traveling west on Market Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Port Penn DE 19731, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Site of Harper Carey Store (a few steps from this marker); McMullin House (a few steps from this marker); Port Penn Presbyterian Church (within shouting distance of this marker); Site of Margaret Darrach House (within shouting distance of this marker); Thomas Cleaver House (within shouting distance of this marker); The Stewart House (within shouting distance of this marker); Wild-Cleaver House (within shouting distance of this marker); Samuel Carpenter House (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Port Penn.
 
Market Square Marker image. Click for full size.
By Devry Becker Jones, June 5, 2021
3. Market Square Marker
Presbyterian Church image. Click for full size.
By William Pfingsten, August 17, 2008
4. Presbyterian Church
St. David's Methodist Chruch image. Click for full size.
By William Pfingsten, August 17, 2008
5. St. David's Methodist Chruch
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 6, 2021. It was originally submitted on August 17, 2008, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. This page has been viewed 1,308 times since then and 33 times this year. Photos:   1. submitted on June 6, 2021, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia.   2. submitted on August 17, 2008, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland.   3. submitted on June 6, 2021, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia.   4, 5. submitted on August 17, 2008, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland.

Share This Page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=10395

Paid Advertisement
Jul. 26, 2021