Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Newbury in Merrimack County, New Hampshire — The American Northeast (New England)
 

Center Meeting House, Newbury

 
 
Center Meeting House, Newbury NH Marker image. Click for full size.
By James R. Murray, June 21, 2017
1. Center Meeting House, Newbury NH Marker
New marker inscription
Inscription.  Built in 1832, the Center Meeting House appears to be inspired by Asher Benjamin’s designs for Federal period religious buildings. Construction was financed by the First Toleration Society who wanted a place where all denominations could meet. The conservative architectural details mixed with newer framing techniques make for a skillfully-designed and built rural interpretation of a high style building. The reverse pulpit plan, which places the pulpit between 2 doors at the front of the building instead of the rear. Is notable and a rare surviving detail.
 
Erected 1971 by The State of New Hampshire.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion.
 
Location. 43° 19.253′ N, 72° 2.154′ W. Marker is in Newbury, New Hampshire, in Merrimack County. Marker is at the intersection of New Hampshire Route 103 and NH 103A (New Hampshire Route 103A), on the right when traveling north on State Route 103. Marker is in front of Meeting house, at the intersection of NH Rts. 103 and 103A. Touch for map
Center Meeting House, Newbury NH Marker image. Click for full size.
By James R. Murray, June 20, 2017
2. Center Meeting House, Newbury NH Marker
The Center Meeting House
Click or scan to see
this page online
. Marker is at or near this postal address: 945 NH 103, Newbury NH 03255, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 11 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Newbury NH Veteran's Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); John Sargent Pillsbury (approx. 5.1 miles away); Hotels and Camps (approx. 5.7 miles away); New London War Memorial (approx. 6.9 miles away); a different marker also named New London War Memorial (approx. 6.9 miles away); Waterloo Historical District (approx. 9.4 miles away); Washington NH Town Common (approx. 10.4 miles away); Washington NH (approx. 10½ miles away).
 
More about this marker. There were originally two markers. The first was placed in 1971, and the newest one in 2016. The old marker is located at the entrance to the Meeting House. See photos.
 
Former Center Meeting House marker image. Click for full size.
By James R. Murray, June 21, 2017
3. Former Center Meeting House marker
Original marker inscription dating from 1971
This edifice of Bullfinch design was rebuilt here about 1832 with old timbers from the Meeting House on Bly Hill. Its age, name, and denomination remain uncertain. The building has become known as a museum piece of the 1820 decade. Its beautiful high colonial pulpit, with pews facing the vestibule, renders it unique among New Hampshire churches
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on December 21, 2020. It was originally submitted on June 21, 2017, by James R. Murray of Elkton, Florida. This page has been viewed 104 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on June 21, 2017, by James R. Murray of Elkton, Florida. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.

Share This Page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=104567

Paid Advertisement
Apr. 15, 2021