Near Crosbyton in Crosby County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
The Mount Blanco Community
Mount Blanco Post Office opened in September 1879, with Mrs. Smith (Elizabeth Boyle, 1848-1925) as postmaster. In 1886, Smith led in organizing Crosby County. This area prospered, and by 1890 had a school. Farming largely replaced ranching after 1900. Post office closed in 1916. School consolidated with Crosbyton in 1949. Smith's stone house (1 mi. N) burned in 1952.
Erected 1975 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 5383.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical month for this entry is September 1879.
Location. 33° 47.661′ N, 101° 14.551′ W. Marker is near Crosbyton, Texas, in Crosby County. Marker is at the intersection of Farm to Market Road 651 and Farm to Market Road 193, on the right when traveling north on Highway 651. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Crosbyton TX 79322, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 10 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. G. W. Smith Home (approx. 2.4 miles away); Big Four School (approx. 3.7 miles away); Village of Cone (approx. 8.4 miles away); Citizens National Bank (approx. 9.3 miles away); Henry Clay Smith (approx. 9.3 miles away); Crosbyton (approx. 9.3 miles away); Crosby County (approx. 9.3 miles away); The Rock House (approx. 9.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Crosbyton.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 27, 2017. It was originally submitted on June 27, 2017, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 283 times since then and 54 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on June 27, 2017, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona.