Stanford Female College
The Stanford Female Seminary was incorporated by the Ky. Legislature on Feb. 26, 1869, but the name was changed to the Stanford Female College in 1871. The original brick structure (west side of building) was completed & the college opened in the fall of 1872. The next year, an addition was built & the original structure housed the students.
College was organized by citizens of Stanford to provide a collegiate education for their daughters. It had 83 graduates during its history. The school was forced to close in 1907, because it couldn't compete with the public schools supported with tax money. After its closure, the Stanford Elementary School was located here until the 1930s.
Erected 2015 by Kentucky Historical Society, Kentucky Department of Highways & Fox Funeral Home. (Marker Number 2457.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Education. In addition, it is included in the Kentucky Historical Society series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1869.
Location. 37° 31.748′ N, 84°
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Earliest Church (within shouting distance of this marker); Kentucky's Oldest Main Street (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Baughman Mill (about 600 feet away); History Written in Departures & Arrivals (about 800 feet away); Wilderness Road / Logan’s Station (approx. 0.2 miles away); Logan's Station (approx. 0.2 miles away); Cherokees in Kentucky (approx. 0.2 miles away); Benjamin Logan (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Stanford.
Also see . . . Stanford Female College. (Submitted on July 11, 2017, by Tom Bosse of Jefferson City, Tennessee.)
Credits. This page was last revised on July 12, 2017. It was originally submitted on July 11, 2017, by Tom Bosse of Jefferson City, Tennessee. This page has been viewed 114 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on July 11, 2017, by Tom Bosse of Jefferson City, Tennessee. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.