East Meadow in Nassau County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
War Dogs Memorial
Dedicated to all
Past - Present - Future
Topics. This memorial is listed in this topic list: Animals.
Location. 40° 44.036′ N, 73° 34.67′ W. Marker is in East Meadow, New York, in Nassau County. Memorial can be reached from Park Boulevard north of New York State Route 24. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: East Meadow NY 11554, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. 77th Infantry Division Reserve Veterans Memorial (here, next to this marker); 82nd Airborne Division (here, next to this marker); American Legion Auxiliary (a few steps from this marker); Still on Patrol (a few steps from this marker); Francis Cardinal Spellman (a few steps from this marker); Battle of the Bulge Veterans Memorial (a few steps from this marker); The Silent Service (a few steps from this marker); Medals of Honor Recipients Memorial (a few steps from this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in East Meadow.
The marker is mounted to a low retaining wall on the south side of the Veterans Memorial Tower in the memorial plaza in Eisenhower Park.
Also see . . . War Dogs: The Birth of the K-9 Corps (US Army). Dogs have been associated with the United States Army since its inception, but their role has been primarily that of a mascot or in some other unofficial capacity. Not until World War II did the Army make the connection official. In January 1942, members of the American Kennel Club and other dog lovers formed a civilian organization called Dogs for Defense. They intended to train dogs to perform sentry duty for the army along the coast of the United States. Aware of this effort, Lieutenant Colonel Clifford C. Smith, chief of the Plant Protection Branch, Inspection Division, Quartermaster Corps, met with his commander, Major General Edmund B. Gregory, and suggested that the Army use the sentry dogs at supply depots. Gregory gave his approval to an experimental program, and on March 13, 1942, Under Secretary of War Robert P. Patterson approved Gregory's application and created the K-9 Corps. (Submitted on July 28, 2017.)
Credits. This page was last revised on July 29, 2017. It was originally submitted on July 28, 2017, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Lamorinda, California. This page has been viewed 205 times since then and 42 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on July 28, 2017, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Lamorinda, California.