Built by the Hon. William Crane, an early Sackville merchant, landowner, politician and partner of Charles Frederick Allison. The home was a wedding present for his daughter Ruth and Edward Cogswell and was known as Cogswell House. In 1895, it was renamed Marshlands after the beautiful Tantramar marshes by its new owner Henry C. Read, a stone merchant.
Erected 1999 by the Town of Sackville.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Buildings. A significant historical year for this entry is 1895.
Location. 45° 53.802′ N, 64° 21.84′ W. Marker is in Sackville, New Brunswick, in Westmorland County. Marker is on Bridge Street (New Brunswick Route 106) just east of Centennial Park, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 55 Bridge Street, Sackville NB E4L 3N9, Canada. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Dr. Copp's House (within shouting distance of this marker); St. Andrew's Presbyterian Church (about 120 meters away, measured in a direct line); HMCS/NCSM Sackville (about 150 meters away); Battle of Normandy
Also see . . . Marshlands Inn Canadian Register of Historic Places Info. (Submitted on August 3, 2017, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Credits. This page was last revised on July 22, 2020. It was originally submitted on August 3, 2017, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 171 times since then and 17 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on August 3, 2017, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.