Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Soda Springs in Caribou County, Idaho — The American West (Mountains)
 

A New Beginning...

Morrisite Settlement

 
 
A New Beginning... Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Barry Swackhamer, June 22, 2017
1. A New Beginning... Marker
Caption: Two hundred acres of ground was surveyed west of Soda Creek and north of Bear River for the new Morristown community. Each family allotment included a parcel of ground 25 by 130 feet. The homes were one-room, dirt floor structures with mud chinking packed between the logs. Street were laid out parallel with the river. (Illustration by Zackery Zdinak)
Inscription.  Claiming to have received "revelations" to warn Mormon leader Brigham Young that he was "wandering from the right course," a Welshman named Joseph Morris came under rebuke in 1862 for speaking out against Mormon doctrines. Growing hostilities prompted Morris to move to a site on Utah's Webber River where he and some 500 followers established a settlement.
Still sensing animosity for their reformed beliefs, many of the Morrisites chose relocation to a new military outpost on the north bank of the Bear River. One hundred and sixty men , women, and children from the Mormon dissidents founded the settlement of Morristown, in the spring of 1863.
By the 1870s, the loss of military protection and support, several seasons of successive crop losses, and a series of extremely cold winters began to take its toll. Many of the Morrisites moved away, while some were able to sell their parcels to miners and new Mormon settlers in the area. Today most of the old settlement is under the waters of Alexander Reservoir.
Touted as one of the oldest settlements in the state. Morristown and Camp Conner played an integral part in the early development
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
of Soda Springs.

"Let me say again that the trail itself, those who immortalized it, the history of the town ... the band of refugees who settled the town and the associates of General Conner make for an combination not overshadowed elsewhere. -- Soda Springs Sun, May 30, 1931, at the dedication of the Memorial on U.S. 30 and Main Street.
 
Erected by Department of the Interior, National Park Service.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & ReligionSettlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1863.
 
Location. 42° 39.204′ N, 111° 36.886′ W. Marker is in Soda Springs, Idaho, in Caribou County. Marker is on South 3rd Street West near West 3rd Street South, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 290 South 3rd Street West, Soda Springs ID 83276, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Law & Order On The Frontier (here, next to this marker); Clash Of Cultures (a few steps from this marker); First In Soda Springs (a few steps from this marker); Father De Smet Monument (approx. half a mile away); Not A Walk In The Park... (approx. half a mile away); Wagon Box Grave of 1861 (approx. half a mile
A New Beginning... Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Barry Swackhamer, June 22, 2017
2. A New Beginning... Marker
The marker is on the left.
away); Niels Anderson ---- Mary Christoffersen Anderson (approx. half a mile away); Ground Observation Corps Soda Springs Post (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Soda Springs.
 
More about this marker. The markers are in The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints church parking lot.
 
Also see . . .  Morrisite War - Wikipedia. After the death of their leaders, the Morrisites scattered, with most going to Soda Springs, Idaho. Others settled in Carson City, Nevada and Deer Lodge, Montana. A few other members were rebaptized into the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter day Saints and remained in South Weber. (Submitted on August 8, 2017, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California.) 
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on August 8, 2017. It was originally submitted on August 8, 2017, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California. This page has been viewed 249 times since then and 6 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on August 8, 2017, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=106709

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
U.S. FTC REQUIRED NOTICE: This website earns income from purchases you make after using links to Amazon.com. Thank you.
Paid Advertisements
Feb. 27, 2024