Islip in Suffolk County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Islip parish org. 1857.
1st chapel 1852 now south of
single spire church 1869.
Manse blt. 1895. Robert L.
Maitland, major benefactor.
Erected by Historical Society of Islip Hamlet.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion.
Location. 40° 43.693′ N, 73° 13.046′ W. Marker is in Islip, New York, in Suffolk County. Marker is at the intersection of Main Street and Cedar Avenue, on the right when traveling east on Main Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 340 Main Street, Islip NY 11751, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Methodist Church (within shouting distance of this marker); Early Schools (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); a different marker also named Early Schools (about 600 feet away); Captain James Berry (approx. 0.2 miles away); Early Schools: Monell (approx. 0.2 miles away); Islip Crowd First Town Hall (approx. ¼ mile away); Historic Union Avenue (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Islip.
Also see . . . Church History (Presbyterian Church of Slip). "Prior to 1857, folks of Presbyterian faith attended the Church of Islip and Huntington, located in Babylon. As the population of the hamlet increased, it became important to erect a house of worship in Islip. Mrs. Almira Doxsee and Miss Charlotte Doxsee raised funds to pay for the lumber by forming a Ladies’ Sewing Society. The building was erected and dedicated in 1852, and served as a house of worship until 1869. Today, the chapel serves as our fellowship hall.... In 1867, Robert L. Maitland challenged the congregation to match his own contribution of $3,000 towards the building of a new church. Through this generosity, our present church building was completed in 1869....The building to the east of the church served as a manse until 1979 when Mr. and Mrs. James Van der Scheer bequeathed their home in Islip for use as a manse. The former manse is now the Parish house, used for offices, meeting rooms, and Sunday School classes." (Submitted on August 8, 2017.)
Credits. This page was last revised on August 8, 2017. It was originally submitted on August 8, 2017, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Lamorinda, California. This page has been viewed 242 times since then and 28 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on August 8, 2017, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Lamorinda, California.