Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Canyon City in Grant County, Oregon — The American West (Northwest)
 

St Thomas Episcopal Church

National Register of Historic Places

 
 
St Thomas Episcopal Church Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Don Hann
1. St Thomas Episcopal Church Marker
The NRHP Plaque
Inscription.  
This property has been
placed on the
National Register
of Historic Places
by the United States
Department of Interior

 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & ReligionSettlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1876.
 
Location. 44° 23.29′ N, 118° 56.956′ W. Marker is in Canyon City, Oregon, in Grant County. Marker is at the intersection of Washington Street, on the left when traveling south on Washington Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Canyon City OR 97820, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Canyon City Mural (within shouting distance of this marker); Welcome To Canyon City (within shouting distance of this marker); As told by an old timer (approx. 0.7 miles away); John Day/Canyon City (approx. 2 miles away); The Advent Christian Church (approx. 2 miles away); The Adventist Christian Church (approx. 2 miles away); Civilian Conservation Corps (approx. 2.1 miles away); Kam Wah Chung Company Building (approx. 2.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Canyon City.
 
Regarding St Thomas Episcopal Church.
St Thomas Episcopal Church Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Don Hann
2. St Thomas Episcopal Church Marker
The marker is located beneath the sign board at the front right of the church.
Click or scan to see
this page online
Historic St. Thomas Episcopal Church can be described as "consecrated to the Lord and baptized in fire." Robert Parlour, a priest in the early 1960's wrote,"Truly St. Thomas has been baptized in fire. The building was erected on the ashes of Canyon City's first disastrous fire of the 1870's, another fire all but leveled the town, but the Church stood solid, as a landmark among the rubble. A third fire swept through the community in 1937. A store next to the church was completely destroyed, the business district of the town disappeared, but still with paint scorched and blackened by smoke, the church still stood."
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 12, 2020. It was originally submitted on August 13, 2017, by Don Hann of Canyon City, Oregon. This page has been viewed 114 times since then and 13 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on August 13, 2017, by Don Hann of Canyon City, Oregon. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=106916

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
Paid Advertisements
 
 

Aug. 16, 2022