Anderson in Anderson County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Portman Dam and Power Plant
In 1889, the City of Anderson contracted with a 26 year old native son, an engineering graduate of the University of South Carolina, to build a steam power plant and water system for the city. Keeping up with the engineering achievements of the day, William Church Whitner became convinced that the long distance transmission of electric energy using hydropower would be developed in Anderson. On May 1, 1895, a group of Anderson's business and community leaders ventured to McFall's Mill at High Shoals on the Rocky River to witness history or to watch Whitner's folly, whichever the case. W.C. Whitner, chief engineer of the Anderson Water, Light, and Power Company, had rented space in McGill's grist and flour mill to install an experimental 5,000 volt alternating current generator to attempt to generate and transmit electric power 6 miles from there to the water system pumps at the Tribble Street power and water yard in Anderson. It Worked! This was the first successful long distance transmission of electricity in the South.
Based upon this success, Mr. Whitner was able to secure the financial backing
[Reverse, Leftmost Marker]:
This generator, manufactured by Westinghouse Electric Company on March 28, 1911, was one of 5 similar units still in service at the Portman Shoals Power Plant on December 9, 1960, when the plant was shut down for the final time due to impending flooding by the waters of Lake Hartwell. It was displayed for many years at the Coleman Recreation Center on Murray Avenue. This is an Alternating Current Generator that produced 1,390 KVA at
[Reverse, Rightmost Marker]: Building upon his early success in Anderson, William Church Whitner developed hydroelectric power generating stations for a number of communities throughout the South, including Columbus, Griffin, and Elberton, Georgia. One of his earliest employees was a young Citadel engineering graduate named William States Lee. At the Catawba River in York County, South Carolina, he partnered with Dr. W. Gill Wylie. The Catawba Plant experienced financial difficulties and Mr. Whitner was offered and accepted a job with Virginia Railway and Power Company in Richmond, Virginia. Dr. Wylie later found funding to complete the Catawba project, using Whitner's original design, in one of his patients, James B. Duke, who was interested in investing in this new idea of long distance transmission of hydroelectric power. Of course, the history of Duke Energy Corporation and the role played by W.S. (Bill) Lee and Dr. Wylie is one of the great success stories in the industrialization of the southern United
Erected 2008 by To Better Anderson 100.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Industry & Commerce.
Location. 34° 30.224′ N, 82° 38.915′ W. Marker is in Anderson, South Carolina, in Anderson County. Marker is at the intersection of North McDuffie Street and Whitner Street on North McDuffie Street. Marker is located near Generator Park. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Anderson SC 29621, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 10 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Portman Shoals (here, next to this marker); G.F. Tolly Building -- c. 1910 (a few steps from this marker); Masonic Temple -- 1889 (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Fant's Book Store -- 1851 (about 400 feet away); Blue Ridge Railroad Passenger Station -- c. 1913 (about 500 feet away); The Four Way Test (about 500 feet away); William Church Whitner (about 500 feet away); Anderson County Court House -- 1898 (about 500 feet away); Anderson: "The Electric City" (about 500 feet away); Bank of Anderson Building - ca. 1891 (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Anderson.
1. Plutonian Darkness
Andersonians had not realized how much they had come to depend on electrical current when, in the fall of
— Submitted August 24, 2008, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.
Credits. This page was last revised on December 11, 2019. It was originally submitted on August 24, 2008, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 4,696 times since then and 6 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on August 24, 2008, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. 7. submitted on September 23, 2010, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.