Decatur in Wise County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Charles Vernon Terrell
(May 2, 1861 - November 17, 1959)
A leading public man in Texas, 1896-1939. Born in Wise County to early (1854) settlers. After two years at Texas A. & M., read law and began practice in 1886. Served 1888-92 as Decatur City Attorney; 1892-96 as County Attorney; 1896-1901 and 1909-13 from Denton-Montague-Wise counties, in Texas Senate. There he sponsored act creating North Texas State University. He was State Treasurer of Texas from 1921 to 1924.
Appointed in 1924 to the Texas Railroad Commission (Chairman 2 terms), he served during landmark years when Texas was catapulted into role of a major world energy supplier. Through regulation of oil and gas shipping, the Railroad Commission became the agency for making production rules. When East Texas in the 1930s began to produce oil in volumes such as the world had never known, and the state invoked martial law to quell strife there, Commissioner Terrell and associates pioneered in conservation without the sacrifice of industrial leadership.
After his retirement in 1939, his native county had an oil discovery at Park Springs, in 1942. The Chico field came in with larger yields in 1947.
Erected 1972 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 822.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Government & Politics • Industry & Commerce. A significant historical date for this entry is May 2, 1861.
Location. 33° 14.065′ N, 97° 35.202′ W. Marker is in Decatur, Texas, in Wise County. Marker is on North Trinity Street (Farm to Market Road 730), on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 101 North Trinity Street, Decatur TX 76234, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Randolph Vesey (here, next to this marker); Captain George W. Stevens (here, next to this marker); Wise County War Memorial (a few steps from this marker); Wise County C.S.A. (within shouting distance of this marker); Wise County Courthouse (within shouting distance of this marker); Colonel Absalom Bishop (within shouting distance of this marker); Wise County Messenger (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Old Stone Prison (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Decatur.
Also see . . . Terrell, Charles Vernon - The Handbook of Texas Online. Texas State Historical Association (TSHA) (Submitted on August 29, 2019, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas.)
Credits. This page was last revised on November 29, 2020. It was originally submitted on September 19, 2017, by James R. Murray of Elkton, Florida. This page has been viewed 165 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on August 29, 2019, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.