Near Gaffney in Cherokee County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
From Pasture to Park
Cowpens National Battlefield
Although Congress debated creating the park here as early as 1891, it was not until 1929 that Congress passed legislation to establish Cowpens National Battlefield Site. In 1972, President Richard M. Nixon signed legislation to change the name to Cowpens National Battlefield and authorized purchasing the land encompassed by the park today.
Visitors to the battlefield in the 1800s would have had a very different experience than they do today.
From 1932-1978, a part-time caretaker managed Cowpens National Battlefield Site. In 1978 the National Park Service disassembled the US Monument, which was located at the intersection of State Highways 11 and 110, and rebuilt it in front of the future Visitor Center.
January 17, 1781
Battle of Cowpens
Robert Scruggs House built. Served as the unofficial Visitor Center
The Washington Light Infantry built the first monument to the battle 75 years afterwards.
A statue of Daniel Morgan was built for the Centennial. Due to vandalism of the Washington Light Infantry Monument, the statue was constructed in Spartanburg.
President Herbert Hoover signed the enabling legislation authorizing Cowpens National Battlefield Site. The Daniel Morgan DAR Chapter and Cherokee County purchased and donated one acre to the federal government for a monument.
President Nixon signed HR 10086 into law, creating Cowpens National Battlefield.
The Visitor Center Opened.
Erected by National Park Service, U.S. Department of the Interior.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Settlements & Settlers • War, US Revolutionary. In addition, it is included in the Former U.S. Presidents: #31 Herbert Hoover, and the Former U.S. Presidents: #37 Richard M. Nixon series lists. A significant historical year for this entry is 1972.
Location. 35° 7.704′ N, 81° 48.167′ W. Marker is near Gaffney, South Carolina, in Cherokee County. Marker can be reached from Battleground Tour Road 0.8 miles east of McGinnis Road, on the right when Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 4001 Chesnee Hwy, Gaffney SC 29341, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. "...A Most Dreary Appearance" (approx. ¼ mile away); The Robert Scruggs House (approx. ¼ mile away); Road to the Revolution (approx. ¼ mile away); The Battle of Cowpens (approx. 0.4 miles away); The Overmountain Victory National Historic Trail (approx. 0.4 miles away); Hearth and Home (approx. 0.4 miles away); The British Army (approx. half a mile away); Sword Clash on Green River Road (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Gaffney.
Also see . . . Cowpens National Battlefield, National Park Service. (Submitted on August 30, 2019.)
Credits. This page was last revised on November 13, 2020. It was originally submitted on September 24, 2017, by Shane Oliver of Richmond, Virginia. This page has been viewed 194 times since then and 14 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on September 24, 2017, by Shane Oliver of Richmond, Virginia. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.