Brooklyn in Kings County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
John J. Carty Park
Born in Bay Ridge, Carty graduated from St. Francis College in Downtown Brooklyn. After college, Carty taught English and Government at Bishop Laughlin Memorial High School where he also coached the baseball and swimming teams. In 1938, Carty left his position as a teacher to join city government with the Municipal Civil Service Commission. After his 1952 appointment to the Bureau of Budget, he spent the next ten years developing his budgetary knowledge and learning the various technicalities of city budgetary allocation.
In 1962, Carty was appointed First Deputy Comptroller under City Comptroller Abraham D. Beame (1906-2001), who later became mayor. Carty frequently represented Beame at meetings of various groups including, the City Banking Commission, the Mayor’s Committee on Pensions, American Museum of Natural History, the Brooklyn Institute of Arts and Sciences, the Brooklyn and New York Public Library, the Metropolitan Museum of Art, and various
One year after his appointment to First Deputy Comptroller, Carty received a bronze medal from the Citizens Budget Commission for career service. Serving under Comptrollers Beame and, later, Mario A. Proccacino, Carty proved to be invaluable, providing insightful and pertinent recommendations. Carty was involved in numerous budgetary issues throughout his eight years in office. In 1965, he worked with the Fire Department to attempt to eradicate a large deficit in the Fireman’s Pension Fund. In 1966, Mayor John V. Lindsay (1921-2000) appointed Carty to a 21-man commission established to work with private companies to secure additional industry for the city and specifically for the Brooklyn Navy Yard.
The year 1967 proved very busy for Carty. In January, he defended the City’s spending of federal money from a poverty fund amidst allegations by the federal government that the money was being wastefully spent. In April, Carty was placed in charge of preparing the main report on the financing woes of the 1964 World’s Fair. He was also involved in the August scheduling of hearings authorized by New York Senator Robert F. Kennedy (1925-1968) regarding Mayor Lindsay’s alleged mismanagement of poverty and welfare programs.
In August of 1967, The New York Times published John J. Carty’s letter to the editor defending
John J. Carty Park, located between 94th and 101st Streets and Fort Hamilton Parkway, was named by Local Law in 1971. The Triborough Bridge and Tunnel Authority developed both the Verrazano Narrows Bridge (1965) and this park concurrently thanks to a 1956 federal grant. The playground section of the park contains benches, a large comfort station, numerous game tables, two drinking fountains, and a flagpole with a yardarm on a monument base. Play areas consist of red, yellow, green, and white play equipment with safety surfacing, a spray shower, tot and regular swings, basketball and handball courts, and a large asphalt play area. The additional park area, which is surrounded by a variety of trees, has a multitude of benches as well as picnic tables, a bocce court, and ten tennis courts. The area provides recreational activities for all.
Erected 2001 by New York City Parks & Recreation.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Entertainment • Government & Politics. A significant historical month for this entry is December 1970.
Location. 40° 36.862′ N, 74° 1.782′ W. Marker is in Brooklyn, New York, in Kings County. Marker is on Fort Hamilton Pkwy near between 95th and 97th Streets, on the right when traveling north. in Bay Ridge. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Brooklyn NY 11209, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. A different marker also named John J. Carty Park (within shouting distance of this marker); Giovanni da Verrazano (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); 1916 Easter Rising Memorial Marker (about 600 feet away); Fort Hamilton World War I Memorial (about 800 feet away); 12-Inch Naval Gun, Mark V, Model 8 (approx. 0.3 miles away); General Robert E. Lee (approx. 0.3 miles away); 12-Pounder “Napoleons”, Model of 1857 (Reproductions) (approx. 0.3 miles away); First Resistance to British Arms in NY (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Brooklyn.
Credits. This page was last revised on April 16, 2020. It was originally submitted on September 28, 2017, by Larry Gertner of New York, New York. This page has been viewed 212 times since then and 14 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on September 28, 2017, by Larry Gertner of New York, New York. 3. submitted on April 15, 2020, by Larry Gertner of New York, New York. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.