Athens in Athens County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
The Silas Bingham House
Since the commissioners held meetings in the home as early as 1806, the Bingham House is recognized as the county’s first courthouse.
Ohio University’s third president, R. G. Wilson (1824–39), and his family lived here; John Templeton, the University’s first black graduate, (1828), resided with them.
In 1853 the house was moved to East State Street and in 1897 was relocated to this site through the efforts of numerous Athens County individuals and groups.
The Bingham House was dedicated July 4, 1897, in commemoration of the Bicentennial of the Northwest Ordinance of 1787.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Education • Notable Buildings. A significant historical date for this entry is July 4, 1861.
Location. 39° 19.317′ N, 82° 6.3′ W. Marker is in Athens, Ohio, in Athens County. Marker is at the intersection of Richland Avenue and Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Athens OH 45701, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Ordinance of 1787 (a few steps from this marker); Cutler Botanic Gardens (a few steps from this marker); Donald R. Johnson Memorial Channel (within shouting distance of this marker); 'Input', 2004 (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Ohio's Cherry Trees (about 500 feet away); Japanese Cherry Trees (about 500 feet away); Ohio University (about 600 feet away); Normandy Park (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Athens.
More about this marker. Marker is to the left of the door that faces Richland Avenue (Photo 3).
Credits. This page was last revised on September 24, 2020. It was originally submitted on August 31, 2008, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio. This page has been viewed 3,677 times since then and 150 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on August 31, 2008, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio.