Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Lebanon in Wilson County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)
 

Tuckers Gap Depot

 
 
Tuckers Gap Depot Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Karen Emerson-McPeak, September 30, 2017
1. Tuckers Gap Depot Marker
Inscription.  
John Bell Tarver donated the rights-of-way on his farm for the railroad and also the land on which the depot was built in c-1870.

Mr. Tarver was the Postmaster at the Post Office, which was located inside the depot, until his death in 1906. Nannie Tarver, daughter of John Bell Tarver, brought eggs, dairy products, vegetables and cut flowers from the farm to sell at the station.

A legendary tale about Nannie Tarver; upon hearing the train whistle at the "cut"; the hill was cut into halves for a flat track; she would change into her "good clothes" and run to meet the train when it reached the depot.

In 1909, the railroad first placed the Nashville to Lebanon Stage Coach Line, and finally the last section of the original stage coach line from Watertown to Smithville. The Tuckers Gap Depot was bought at auction in 2005 and moved to Fiddlers Grove.
 
Erected 2005.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Railroads & StreetcarsSettlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1870.
 
Location. 36° 11.938′ N, 86° 

Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
16.537′ W. Marker is in Lebanon, Tennessee, in Wilson County. Marker can be reached from East Baddour Parkway. Located in Fiddler's Grove Historic Village James E Ward Center Road. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Lebanon TN 37087, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Wheeler School (here, next to this marker); Tates Crossing Flag Station (here, next to this marker); The Civil War In Lebanon (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); A.C. Wharton Market (about 600 feet away); Dedman's Store (about 600 feet away); Dr. James Edmond Fisher's Office (about 600 feet away); James E. Ward (approx. 0.2 miles away); Forbes Cabin (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lebanon.
 
Tuckers Gap Depot Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Karen Emerson-McPeak, August 26, 2017
2. Tuckers Gap Depot Marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on December 5, 2017. It was originally submitted on November 6, 2017, by Karen Emerson-McPeak of Triune, Tennessee. This page has been viewed 231 times since then and 7 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on November 6, 2017, by Karen Emerson-McPeak of Triune, Tennessee. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=109694

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
U.S. FTC REQUIRED NOTICE: This website earns income from purchases you make after using links to Amazon.com. Thank you.
Paid Advertisements
Feb. 27, 2024