Madison in Morgan County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
A variety of private schools also operated in personal homes. Several were located along Porter Street. Private instruction was usually segregated by gender and ranged from primary to high school curriculum. Many younger children received their start in education in Holly Hall from Sarah Benham Judd Cooke and her daughter, proprietors of one of the South's earliest kindergartens. Several private schools were operational into the late 1880s.
These academies and schools charged tuition. They were eligible for funds established for the public school system under the 1868 State Constitution, but private education waned when Madison began public education in 1895.
Erected by The City of Madison Madison Bicentennial Commission 1809-2009
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Education.
Location. 33° 35.68′ N, 83° 28.301′ W. Marker is in Madison, Georgia, in Morgan County. Marker is at the intersection of West Central Avenue and Academy Street, on the right when traveling north on West Central Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Madison GA 30650, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Madison Historic Cemeteries (within shouting distance of this marker); Early Religious Life (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Antebellum Architecture (about 700 feet away); Formal Southern Landscapes (about 700 feet away); Reconstruction Property Rights (about 700 feet away); Segregated Burial Grounds (about 700 feet away); The Town Spring (about 700 feet away); Confederate Dead (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Madison.
Credits. This page was last revised on November 7, 2017. It was originally submitted on November 7, 2017, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 112 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on November 7, 2017, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia.