Near Vanderpool in Bandera County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Site of Old Taylor School
Founded 1883, named for Henry Taylor. He, Gid Thompson and other early settlers gave land and founded school. First trustees were D. Harper, H. Kennedy, H. Taylor. First one-room frame building had homemade desks and recitation benches.
After it burned, two more were built before consolidation with Utopia, 1937. Miss Sue Harper, Frank Robinson, and “Miss Mattie” Noel listed among outstanding teachers. This was community center; weekly literary society, Sunday school, church met here. This marker given by and in memory of former pupils.
Erected 1967 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 4862.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Education • Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1883.
Location. 29° 39.248′ N, 99° 32.498′ W. Marker is near Vanderpool, Texas, in Bandera County. Marker is on Farm to Market Road 187, 0.3 miles north of West Sabinal Road, on the left when traveling north. Marker is located in pull-out on west side of highway. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Vanderpool TX 78885, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 Benjamin F. Highsmith (approx. 1.7 miles away); Jones Cemetery (approx. 1.7 miles away); Old Rock Store (approx. 2.9 miles away); William Ware (approx. 3.8 miles away); Old Waresville (approx. 3.8 miles away); Waresville Cemetery (approx. 4.1 miles away); Captain William Ware (approx. 4.2 miles away); Captain John Coffee Hays (approx. 10 miles away).
Also see . . . Taylor School.
In the diary of Jobie Anglin, he tells how the school got along money-wise. Anglin, as a trustee in 1899, paid out $1.00 for cleaning the well, $4.00 for two cords of wood; $50.00 went to J. F. Robinson, who was principal for nearly 30 years. A (tame) black bear visited school one day. Children walked or rode for miles to attend school, bringing their lunches in buckets containing molasses, biscuits, homemade butter and sausage. Extra curricular activities included 8-ball croquet and basketball. Female members of the basketball team wore black bloomers, containing four yards of cloth, bloused at the knee with an elastic band. Beth Crane Davenport has a pair of these black bloomers. In addition to its educational use, Taylor School was used for Sunday school classes and for music lessons. (Submitted on December 12, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Credits. This page was last revised on December 13, 2017. It was originally submitted on December 11, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 247 times since then and 25 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on December 11, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. 2, 3. submitted on December 12, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.