Terra Ceia in Manatee County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
Atzeroth Home Site
This is the home site of Joe and Madam Joe Atzeroth, first permanent settlers of Terra Ceia Island. With their daughter Eliza, a physician friend, and dog Bonaparte, they arrived via Tampa April 12, 1843. Living first in a tent, then a palmetto thatched hut, they finally built a two-room log cabin. They grew tobacco and vegetables and sold them to the garrison at Ft. Brooke (Tampa). In 1880 Madam Joe recieved $10 award for growing the first pound of coffee in this country.
Erected 1969 by The Florida Board
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical date for this entry is April 12, 1843.
Location. 27° 34.139′ N, 82° 34.966′ W. Marker is in Terra Ceia, Florida, in Manatee County. Marker is on Bayshore Drive, 0.1 miles west of Center Road, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Terra Ceia FL 34250, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Terra Ceia School/Village Improvement Association Hall (approx. 0.3 miles away); Franklin C. Armstrong (approx. half a mile away); Guerrero Home Site (approx. 0.6 miles away); Rubonia Women's Club (approx. 2 miles away); Danger Approaches (approx. 2.3 miles away); Realizing a Dream (approx. 2.3 miles away); Old Memphis Cemetery (approx. 2.6 miles away); Lincoln Memorial High School (approx. 3.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Terra Ceia.
Also see . . . The History of Terra Ceia. (Submitted on January 11, 2018, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida.)
Credits. This page was last revised on January 16, 2018. It was originally submitted on January 11, 2018, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. This page has been viewed 163 times since then and 43 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on January 11, 2018, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.