Cortez in Manatee County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
The 1890 Bratton Store/The 1912 Cortez Rural Graded Schoolhouse
The 1890 Bratton Store
In the 1890s, William C. Bratton built the first commercial building at Hunter's Point, the original name of the area eventually to be called Cortez. The building served as post office, general store and steamboat wharf and connected the village's fishing families with the outside world. In 1900, rooms were added creating an inn which became known at the Albion Inn. Expanded over time, the Albion Inn along with the 1912 Cortez Schoolhouse served as refuge for the displaced residents of the small village during the destructive 1921 hurricane. In 1974, the inn closed and the property was sold to the US Coast Guard. Community effort spearheaded by the Cortez Village Historical Society and the Organized Fisherman of Florida saved the store from demolition in 1991. It was moved to this site in 2006.
The 1912 Cortez Rural Graded Schoolhouse
Erected 2006 by The Manatee County Historical Commission with the Manatee County Board of County Commissioners.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Education • Industry & Commerce • Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1890.
Location. 27° 28.055′ N, 82° 40.828′ W. Marker is in Cortez, Florida, in Manatee County. Marker is at the intersection of 119th Street West and 45th Avenue West, on the left when traveling south on 119th Street West. Marker is on the grounds of the Florida Maritime Museum. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 4415 119th St W, Cortez FL 34215, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 milesThe Village of Cortez (approx. 0.3 miles away); Palma Sola Community Church (approx. 3.4 miles away); Shaw's Point Archeological District (approx. 4.3 miles away); Holy Eucharist Monument and Memorial Cross (approx. 4.4 miles away); DeSoto Trail (approx. 4½ miles away); De Soto Trail Monument (approx. 4½ miles away); La Florida's Early Peoples (approx. 4½ miles away); Hernando de Soto (approx. 4½ miles away).
Also see . . . Florida Maritime Museum. (Submitted on January 11, 2018, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida.)
Credits. This page was last revised on October 18, 2020. It was originally submitted on January 11, 2018, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. This page has been viewed 148 times since then and 34 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on January 11, 2018, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.