Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Darien in McIntosh County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Darien's Railroad and Depot

 
 
Darien's Railroad and Depot Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mike Stroud, August 2008
1. Darien's Railroad and Depot Marker
Inscription.  In 1889 the Darien Shortline Railroad was organized to transport yellow pine timber to the Darien sawmills from Georgia`s interior. Originating in Tattnall County and continuing through Liberty County, the Darien & Western line was completed in 1895 to its terminus near this spot where a passenger depot was built, now marked by the gazebo. In 1906 the line was bought by the Georgia Coast & Piedmont Railroad, which extended the line 18 miles south to Brunswick in 1914. The train depot was then moved from Columbus Square to the riverfront near the present U.S. Highway 17 bridge. The depot burned in 1971.
 
Erected 1999 by The Georgia Historical Society and Lower Altamaha Historical Society. (Marker Number 95-1.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Horticulture & ForestryIndustry & CommerceNotable PlacesRailroads & StreetcarsSettlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Georgia Historical Society series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1889.
 
Location. 31° 22.264′ 
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
N, 81° 25.931′ W. Marker is in Darien, Georgia, in McIntosh County. Marker is on Madison Street near Franklin Street, on the left. Marker is at Columbus Square. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Darien GA 31305, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Columbus Square (within shouting distance of this marker); The Oglethorpe Oak (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); New Inverness (about 700 feet away); a different marker also named Oglethorpe Oak (about 700 feet away); McIntosh County (about 800 feet away); Methodists at Darien (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Burning of Darien (approx. 0.2 miles away); Saint Andrew's Episcopal Church (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Darien.
 
Also see . . .  Darien and Western Railroad , Wikipedia entry. In 1894 the Darien and Western Railroad was established to take over operations of the Darien Short Line which had gone bankrupt. The D&W operated a 32-mile (51 km) line between Darien and Middleton, Georgia, USA, beginning in 1895 and then as far as Ludowici, Georgia, in 1904. It became part of a multi-railroad merger in 1906 that resulted in the Georgia Coast and Piedmont Railroad. (Submitted on September 8, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.) 
 
Darien's Railroad and Depot Marker at Columbus Square image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mike Stroud, 2008
2. Darien's Railroad and Depot Marker at Columbus Square
Note the gazebo, mentioned on the marker, to the right of the marker.
Darien's Railroad and Depot Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mike Stroud, 2008
3. Darien's Railroad and Depot Marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on September 8, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 1,513 times since then and 70 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on September 8, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=11256

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Jul. 15, 2024