In 1879, Mr. Lain affixed iron pipes to the outlet of one of his springs to bring water down to the road in order to supply water to the street sprinklers who kept the dust down on the dirt roads.
This spring was known by other names such as Hilltop Mineral Spring and High View Spring, but in 1884 it was referred to as Acme Spring. In 1885, the spring was leased to George Carleton and George Winans, who later purchased it. They established a business called Acme Mineral Spring Company with an office in Chicago to sell water from Acme. In order to do this, pipes were laid between the spring and the railroad tracks next to St. Paul Avenue. A faucet was attached allowing barrels or cans of spring water to be filled and put on the train at 4:00 pm. By 7:00 am the water was in Chicago ready for sale and distribution.
A description of the spring appeared in the company brochure. "The basin has been enlarged
Erected 2018 by City of Waukesha Landmarks Commission.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Industry & Commerce. A significant historical year for this entry is 1862.
Location. 43° 0.568′ N, 88° 14.411′ W. Marker is in Waukesha, Wisconsin, in Waukesha County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of Motor Ave. and Mountain Avenue. The marker is at the east end of Motor Ave. as it turns into the parking lot of Mountain Village Apartments on the right as you enter. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 304 W North St, Mountain Village Apts Parking, Waukesha WI 53188, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Waukesha Engine Division (approx. 0.2 miles away); Dunbar Oak (approx. Ό mile away); Prehistoric Indian Mound (approx. 0.3 miles away); Waukesha City - Cutler Park (approx. 0.4 miles away); Cohn's Shoe Store (approx. 0.4 miles away); Lindholm Vocational & Adult School (approx. 0.4 miles Milwaukee and Madison Railway Depot (approx. half a mile away); Old Cutler Home (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Waukesha.
Regarding Acme Spring. This is one of a few markers for our Waukesha mineral springs that date to the Springs Era of 1880 to 1910. Waukesha was known as the Saratoga of the West.
Credits. This page was last revised on January 28, 2018. It was originally submitted on January 28, 2018, by Linda Hansen of Waukesha, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 408 times since then and 19 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on January 28, 2018, by Linda Hansen of Waukesha, Wisconsin. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.