Seaside in Clatsop County, Oregon — The American West (Northwest)
Lewis & Clark Salt Cairn
The expedition had run out of salt before arrival at their winter camp at Fort Clatsop, 10 miles to the northeast, and it was very necessary for curing meat and preparing for the return trip to civilization.
This actual site was established by a committee of the Oregon Historical Society in 1900. On the testimony of Jenny Michel, of Seaside, whose Clatsop Indian father remembered seeing the white men boiling water, and had pointed out this place to her when she was a young girl. She was born in this vicinity about 1815 and died in 1905.
Erected 1955 by Seaside Lions Club.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Exploration. Lewis & Clark Expedition series list.
Location. 45° 59.068′ N, 123° 55.918′ W. Marker is in Seaside, Oregon, in Clatsop County. Marker can be reached from Lewis and Clark Way near Beach Drive, on the left when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 30 Lewis and Clark Way, Seaside OR 97138, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Saltworks (here, next to this marker); Site of the Lewis and Clark Salt Camp (here, next to this marker); A Convenient Place for Making Salt (approx. ¼ mile away); Gilbert Inn - 1892 (approx. 0.6 miles away); Tsunami (approx. 0.6 miles away); Ekkoli: A Whale of a Tale (approx. 4.3 miles away); Ecola (approx. 5.1 miles away); "Cannon Beach" (approx. 5.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Seaside.
More about this marker. This marker is located at Lewis and Clark Salt Cairn National Monument.
Credits. This page was last revised on February 2, 2018. It was originally submitted on February 2, 2018, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California. This page has been viewed 163 times since then and 21 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on February 2, 2018, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California.