Coos Bay in Coos County, Oregon — The American West (Northwest)
Caboose No. 1134
This cupola-style, 54,000-pound steel caboose was built in December 1942 and sold to Southern Pacific for use on runs between Coos Bay, Eugene and Klamath Falls. Painted "all mineral" brown with daylight orange ends, it was among the last cupola cars built or bought by SR It was modified and repaired several times before being sold to Rick Schneider, but the interior remains historically intact. The OCHR acquired it in 2007 and is carefully preserving it.
Erected by Oregon Coast Historical Railway.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Railroads & Streetcars.
Location. 43° 21.714′ N, 124° 12.719′ W. Marker is in Coos Bay, Oregon, in Coos County. Marker is on Oregon Coast Highway (U.S. 101) north of Hall Avenue, on the right when traveling north. Marker is mounted on subject caboose, within the Oregon Coast Historical Railway yard. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 800 South 1st Street, Coos Bay OR 97420, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Steam Engine No. 104 (a few steps from this marker); Caboose No. 11269 Transportation (approx. 0.4 miles away); a different marker also named Transportation (approx. 0.4 miles away); a different marker also named Transportation (approx. 0.4 miles away); The Changing Waterfront (approx. 0.4 miles away); a different marker also named The Changing Waterfront (approx. 0.4 miles away); a different marker also named The Changing Waterfront (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Coos Bay.
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker.
Also see . . .
1. Southern Pacific caboose No. 1134.
The 40-ton, cupola-style, riveted-steel caboose was one of 215 units built between 1940 and 1942 for the SP and the Texas & New Orleans railroads. They were designated C-40-3s, with the "C" for caboose, the "40" for the axle load in tons and the "3" for class or type or design. The cupola is the elevated seating area in the middle of the caboose, from which crew members could keep an eye on the train. Cabooses made their first appearance at the end of trains in the mid-1850s, and served many purposes. They were rolling offices for the conductor, (Submitted on February 3, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
2. Surviving Cabooses of the Southern Pacific Railroad.
The Southern Pacific Railroad operated hundreds of freight trains over thousands of miles of track. Prior to the 1980s, all of these freight trains needed a caboose at the end of the train for the conductor, brakemen, and any other crew members. At that time, the caboose began to be replaced by a device known as the Flashing Red End-of-Train device or FRED. As a result, many cabooses were retired at this time. This page is dedicated to the surviving cabooses of the standard gauge railroads operated by the Southern Pacific (SP) and its subsidiary lines. (Submitted on February 3, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
3. Viewing Album: Cabooses of the West.
This link includes various detailed pictures of the interior of caboose No. 1134, as well as before-and-after restoration pictures of the exterior. (Submitted on February 3, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Credits. This page was last revised on February 4, 2018. It was originally submitted on February 3, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 121 times since then and 7 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on February 3, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.