Coos Bay in Coos County, Oregon — The American West (Northwest)
Steam Engine No. 104
The Coos Bay Lumber Co. purchased this 73-ton, 2-8-2 Mikado-type steam locomotive in 1922 from Baldwin Locomotive Works in Philadelphia, Penn. Engine No. 104 pulled log trains – sometimes as many as 100 cars – from the Powers and Fairview areas of Coos County from 1923 to 1954. In 1956 it was sold to Georgia-Pacific and moved to Toledo, Ore. It remained on standby duty until 1960, when it was donated to the Coos County Historical Society. It was displayed outside their North Bend museum until 1999, when it was turned over to the Oregon Coast Historical Railway. It was moved to Coos Bay in 2001.
Erected by Oregon Coast Historical Railway.
Location. 43° 21.709′ N, 124° 12.719′ W. Marker is in Coos Bay, Oregon, in Coos County. Marker is on Oregon Coast Highway (U.S. 101) north of Hall Avenue, on the right when traveling north. Marker is mounted on subject locomotive, within the Oregon Coast Historical Railway yard. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 800 South 1st Street, Coos Bay OR 97420, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of Caboose No. 1134 (a few steps from this marker); Caboose No. 11269 (a few steps from this marker); Transportation (approx. 0.4 miles away); a different marker also named Transportation (approx. 0.4 miles away); a different marker also named Transportation (approx. 0.4 miles away); The Changing Waterfront (approx. 0.4 miles away); a different marker also named The Changing Waterfront (approx. 0.4 miles away); a different marker also named The Changing Waterfront (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Coos Bay.
Also see . . .
1. Coos Bay Lumber Company #104 Locomotive.
By the time the locomotive was retired in 1954, it was the last steam engine in use in the local woods, pulling cars from the mountain town of Powers to the company's McCormack log dump on Isthmus Slough, a few miles from their Coos Bay mill. It also hauled logs from Fairview to Coquille and then on to Coos Bay. An average train was 40 to 50 cars, but when crossing what trainmen called Overland, the section between Coquille Valley and the head of Isthmus Slough, the increased grade required that half the train be sidetracked. After the first half was taken over, the engine returned for the remaining cars. In areas where steep grades were not an issue, it wasn't unusual for the locomotive to pull as many as 100 fully-loaded flatcars. (Submitted on February 3, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
2. Baldwin Locomotive Works.
The Baldwin Locomotive Works was an American builder of railroad locomotives, located in Pennsylvania. Although the company was very successful as the largest producer of steam locomotives, its transition to the production of diesels was far less so. When the early demand for diesel locomotives to replace steam tapered off, Baldwin could not compete in the marketplace. It stopped producing locomotives in 1956 and went out of business in 1972, having produced over 70,000 locomotives, the vast majority powered by steam. (Submitted on February 3, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Categories. • Horticulture & Forestry • Industry & Commerce • Railroads & Streetcars •
More. Search the internet for Steam Engine No. 104.
Credits. This page was last revised on February 4, 2018. This page originally submitted on February 3, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 129 times since then and 9 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on February 3, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.