Chesapeake, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
Great Bridge Schoolhouse Monument
In 1906, Norfolk County built a four room brick school house, “The Great Bridge School”, to educate elementary and high school students. Graduating its first class in 1911, the name was changed to Great Bridge High and Grammar School in 1913. The building served several purposes over the years. Many memories were made by thousands of students who attended class in the school.
Erected 2017 by Norfolk County Historical Society of Chesapeake.
Location. 36° 42.756′ N, 76° 14.224′ W. Marker is in Chesapeake, Virginia. Marker is on Mt. Pleasant Road (County Route 165) near Woodford Drive, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Chesapeake VA 23322, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Southern Branch Chapel / Battle of Great Bridge / Wilson Family (approx. ¼ mile away); Battle of Great Bridge (approx. 0.6 miles away); Planning a Canal (approx. 0.6 miles away); Norfolk County Almshouse (approx. 0.6 Battle of Great Bridge DAR Monument (approx. 0.6 miles away); The Marshall Family (approx. 0.6 miles away); Great Bridge Marshall Memorial (approx. 0.6 miles away); Billy Flora (approx. 0.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Chesapeake.
More about this monument. This monument commemorates the four-room schoolhouse that stood on the corner of Great Bridge Boulevard and Mt. Pleasant Road in the early 1900s. It was dedicated on September 30, 2017 during a memorial service for the late Helen Long Spruill, a former president of the Norfolk County Historical Society of Chesapeake, Virginia (NCHS).
The building, a historical landmark that Spruill had fought to save, was razed in October 2014. Two years later, in September 2016, Spruill passed away.
According to The Historian, NCHS’s newsletter, the service was attended by many people, including members of NCHS and 25 of Spruill’s family. NCHS, headquartered in the Wallace Memorial History Room in Chesapeake Central Library, exhibited its commitment to preserve and share the city’s history by erecting this monument.
The name, “Great Bridge School,” bestowed upon at least two other schools since 1906, is a legacy. In fact, this monument stands on the rear grounds of 369 S. Battlefield Boulevard, a former school building, which has that name displayed presently across its front.
Also see . . . Norfolk County Historical Society of Chesapeake, Virginia. (Submitted on January 23, 2018, by Cynthia L. Clark of Suffolk, Virginia.)
Categories. • Education •
More. Search the internet for Great Bridge Schoolhouse Monument.
Credits. This page was last revised on February 5, 2018. This page originally submitted on January 23, 2018, by Cynthia L. Clark of Suffolk, Virginia. This page has been viewed 136 times since then and 3 times this year. Last updated on February 3, 2018, by Cynthia L. Clark of Suffolk, Virginia. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on January 23, 2018, by Cynthia L. Clark of Suffolk, Virginia. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.