Kingsport in Sullivan County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)
Colonel Gilbert Christian
1734 - 1793
— First Permanent Settler in Kingsport —
Permanent settlement in 1775.
The first town in the Kingsport area was laid out on his land grant in 1802 and was named Christianville.
American Revolution Patriot
Long Island Chapter Daughters of the American Revolution July 4, 1976
Erected 1976 by Long Island Chapter Daughters of the American Revolution.
Location. 36° 33.059′ N, 82° 35.714′ W. Marker is in Kingsport, Tennessee, in Sullivan County. Marker is at the intersection of Netherland Inn Road and Lilac Street, on the left when traveling east on Netherland Inn Road. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Kingsport TN 37660, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Boat Yard (within shouting distance of this marker); Flatboat (within shouting distance of this marker); Netherland Inn (within shouting distance of this marker); Bank Barn (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Daniel Boone Wilderness Trail (about 300 feet away); Flatboat "Adventure" December 22, 1779 The Great Indian War Path (approx. 0.3 miles away); The Long Island of the Holston (approx. 0.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Kingsport.
Categories. • Settlements & Settlers •
More. Search the internet for Colonel Gilbert Christian.
Credits. This page was last revised on February 12, 2018. This page originally submitted on February 11, 2018, by Tom Bosse of Jefferson City, Tennessee. This page has been viewed 149 times since then and 8 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on February 11, 2018, by Tom Bosse of Jefferson City, Tennessee. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.