Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Near St. Paul in Marion County, Oregon — The American West (Northwest)
 

Willamette Post

 
 
Willamette Post Marker image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, September 25, 2017
1. Willamette Post Marker
Inscription.  Willamette Post was established in December 1813 on a knoll just east of this location by employees of the North West Company, a Montreal based fur-trading company. During the ensuing years the two-room log cabin, also known as Fort Kalapuya, served as a site for trading with the local Indians, the Kalapuyans, It was also a depot for hunting expeditions providing food to Fort George, also known as Fort Astoria, on the Oregon Coast. The Post was still intact in the late 1820's, as French-Indian families began to settle in the French Prairie Champoeg area. Pierre Bellique, a French Canadian fur trapper turned farmer, and his wife, Genevieve, used the vacated building as a residence beginning in the early 1830's.
 
Erected by Oregon Department of Transportation.
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & CommerceSettlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Oregon Beaver Boards series list.
 
Location. 45° 15.811′ N, 122° 56.562′ W.
Willamette Post Marker image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, September 25, 2017
2. Willamette Post Marker
Marker is near St. Paul, Oregon, in Marion County. Marker is on Hillsboro-Silverton Highway NorthEast (Oregon Route 219) near Champoeg Road NorthEast, on the left when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Saint Paul OR 97137, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Champoeg (approx. 2 miles away); Hoover - Minthorn House (approx. 2.8 miles away); Courthouse Square Park (approx. 7.1 miles away); Yamhill Blockhouse (approx. 7.1 miles away); Pioneer Park and Blockhouse (approx. 7.1 miles away); Boone's Ferry (approx. 8.2 miles away); Grove of the States (approx. 8.2 miles away); Boone’s Landing (approx. 8.4 miles away).
 
More about this marker. The marker is located about 1/4 mile south of the Hillsboro-Silverton Highway bridge over the Willamette River.
 
Also see . . .  Oregon Travel Experience - Willamette Post. The official Beaver Board website for Oregon State Historical Markers. (Submitted on February 23, 2018, by Douglass Halvorsen of Klamath Falls, Oregon.) 
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on March 24, 2018. It was originally submitted on February 23, 2018, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California. This page has been viewed 321 times since then and 28 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on February 23, 2018, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California.
Paid Advertisement
Aug. 6, 2020