Dayton in Yamhill County, Oregon — The American West (Northwest)
This building was a military blockhouse built at the Grand Ronde Agency by Willamette Valley settlers in 1856.
U.S. Troops were sent to the station the same year and its was named "Fort Yamhill."
Among the famous Army Officers stationed at this fort were Sheridan, Wheeler, A.J. Smith and D.A. Russell and Hazen.
By permission of the U.S. Government Fort Yamhill was moved from Grand Ronde Agency to Dayton in 1911, thru efforts of John G. Lewis a patriotic citizen.
The structure was rebuilt on this spot as a memorial to General Joel Palmer a pioneer of Oregon, Superintendent of Indian Affairs, Founder of Dayton, and Donor of this Park.
Erected by Oregon Department of Transportation.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Forts and Castles. In addition, it is included in the Oregon Beaver Boards series list.
Location. 45° 13.278′ N, 123° 4.584′ W. Marker is in Dayton, Oregon, in Yamhill CountyTouch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 400 3rd Street, Dayton OR 97114, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 7 other markers are within 17 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Courthouse Square Park (a few steps from this marker); Pioneer Park and Blockhouse (a few steps from this marker); Hoover - Minthorn House (approx. 7½ miles away); Champoeg (approx. 8.7 miles away); Madame Marie Dorion (approx. 9.4 miles away); a different marker also named Madame Marie Dorion (approx. 9.4 miles away); North Howell (Laurance) (approx. 16½ miles away).
Credits. This page was last revised on October 20, 2020. It was originally submitted on February 23, 2018, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California. This page has been viewed 164 times since then and 26 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on February 23, 2018, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California.